PDA

View Full Version : Gettin` serious about detailing!

CivicC
09-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Hello all, I`m new to the forum..

I`ve always been one to keep my cars extremely clean, until I found sites like this and really looked into detailing, which makes my definition of clean not so clean in most of your eyes haha. So I`ve just sat back and browsed this forum and found a little of useful info and inspiration.

I bought a 2007 Civic LX Coupe back in February. The original owner was a detailer and the car is just immaculate! I have kept it clean until now, but am looking to push it to the edge of cleanliness and really make it pop. (Its silver, I know. You can`t even tell if its clean or dirty:()

Anyways. I`m looking to invest a little in some products/techniques to maintain this car, keep it looking brand new, and extend its life span.

I currently use things like..

-Simoniz 8"Buffer

-Turtle Wax-Hard Shell: This is from 3-4 years ago and I still have it haha.

-Mother Back to Black Trim and Bumper COnditioner

-Meguairs Quik Detailer

-Some no name microfiber towels that are actually much better and more plush than anything I`ve found yet!

-Some simoniz colour coded Microfibers for things like the engine, wheel wells, inner rims, interior, etc.

-Black Magic Rim Polish

-and theres a couple others but I can`t remember them right now.

Basically I`d like to know if there are any staple products that you guys use to keep your paint pristine and other pieces looking new? As this is a daily driver, should I be degreasing the engine or leaving it the way it is>?(From Canada, lots of salt on the road).

Thanks!

P.s. Bought some COntinental extreme contact DWS`s which will be arriving Monday.. ANy tips to keep them nice and black without harming the rubber?

EDIT: On a slight budget here! annnndd living in an apartmnt now, just a coin wash for me! Occasional access to hoses/electrical when I head back home 6 hours away every few months)

David Fermani
09-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Welcome to Autopia! Good to know you are willing to carry the torch with your new car`s maintenance.

Here`s what I would suggest that will sure to bring out the flake of your paint and keep it looking its best. Keep in mind that your buffer (aka wax spreader) is almost useless, but is a hair better then doing it by hand. You should really consider stepping up to a Dual Action polisher as your results will be extremely better.

HD Polish: 3D Car Care; Car Wash, Car Wax, Auto Detailing supplies, Car Polishers, Car Buffers & accessories store (http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Advanced-Polish.html) (this product will remove light swirls and improve shine/clarity)

HD POXY: Polymer Sealant Car Wax & Car Paint Protectant - HD POXY | 3D Products (http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Poxy.html) (this is a polymer paint sealant that offers great looks and protection)

or, if you`re on a super strict budget, try what they consider an All In One (AIO) HD Speed (has HD Polish & POXY built in) � (http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Speed.html)

As far as your engine, I`d just keep it clean by rinsing it periodicially at the coin wash. No need to use a cleaner if you stay up on it. also, I don`t care for the shiny look or the negatives associated with a dressing so I just leave it bare.

For tires, I would suggest 3D`s Ultra Protectant: Tire Dressing Product - Shining Tires with Ultra Protectant | 3DProducts (http://www.3dproducts.com/Ultra-Protectant.html)

Let us know if you have any other questions or need more help......

CivicC
09-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Great, thanks for the info. Any one else?

Also, new tires arrived today. Continental Pro Contact DWS`s. Unfortunately, they`re scratched like crazy! The rubber! Normally its a smooth glossy black, and it is in some areas, but then theres the huge dull scratches in multiple directions. It looks like someone tossed them around for a while before shipping them! Any ideas how to cope with/cover these up? I`ve contacted TireTrends.com already, and am just waiting to see if they will live up to their reputation and replace them.

CivicC
09-29-2012, 09:46 PM
bump..

anyone?

David Fermani
09-30-2012, 12:53 PM
APC with a firm scrub brush should work out some of the marring as long as the scratches haven`t gone through the finish.

CivicC
09-30-2012, 04:01 PM
APC with a firm scrub brush should work out some of the marring as long as the scratches haven`t gone through the finish.

I`m sorry, I need some clarification. Are you saying that cleaning them will remove some of the scratches?

David Fermani
09-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Yes, as long as they aren`t into the finish I`ve been able to scrub the marring out.

Accumulator
09-30-2012, 04:29 PM
I don`t know anything about those particular tires, but I`ve had some extremely soft-compound tires that were so delicate that any of my "tire brushes" would scratch the [crap] out of them (had to use Rubber Cleaners on a sponge). My point is to be careful you don`t make things worse instead of better with any scrubbing.

If the tires arrived *really* messed up, I`d be thinking about asking for (undamaged) replacements.

Street5927
09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I know when I lived in an apartment and was restricted to the coin-op, I would still use the two bucket method. I would fill the two buckets up in my tub and take them with me to the coin-op. I would also take a separate bucket for the tires/wheels. In between regular weekly washes, as long as it wasn`t real dirty, I would just use ONR. In the winter months, and still do to this day, I go to the automatic coin-op. It is nice because it utilizes a true "no touch" system. Not as good as doing a hand wash, but actually does a decent job. For $7, it does the undercarriage spray, pre-rinse, rocker panel blaster and hot water pre-soak. Then a rinse and an air dry. Nothing touches the vehicle. In the winter, I use this on a weekly basis to keep road salt to a minimum.