PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question, Compound, Polish and Wax?

ogeretla
09-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

Awesome Forum! I have a question for some of you pro`s. Years back i really enjoyed spending alot of my time detailing my cars but as of recent i`ve lost that desire. In any event, I took my car to two detailing shops and was offered the following;

1st shop = Simonize > Polish > Wax

2nd shop = Compound > Polish > Wax

I guess my question is whats the difference between Simonize vs. Compound and which is the better of the two?

Just to offer some insight, its for a 06 3 series BMW. My paint looks pretty good. It has a nice shine, however if you look closely the paint has some surface scratches. I know the following pic is not the best quality, it was taken with my phone.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f227/toicy4ya/3E1A1F9B-FA3F-47B3-AC4C-6E43F56D9779-2268-00000243349A0DE9.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

imported_WhyteWizard
09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Looks like a trick question to me. I`d look a bit further. Generally I`d go with a shop that starts with clay or other surface contamination removal system, nanoskin towel for example.

Robert

Ron Ketcham
09-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Simple to understand.

Compounding is an "abrasive" action. It removes some of the subject substrate that one is abrading away.

Polishing is a "burnishing" action. This second of the process is the one that removes the "abrading" marring of the subject surface, which then creates a smoother and more reflective surface, IE-gloss/shine of the selected surface.

What brand is promoted to do these two actions are just that, brand and personal selection of product, however, some are more effective in either of the processes.

Abrade away the deeper imperfections, which will leave a "hazy" apperance on the suface of the subject finish.

Burnish the "haze" created by the "abrasive use of a compound" and one achieves the "highly polished" finish that most wish to attain.

Whether it be paint, wood, metal, etc, the same basic`s apply.

What one wishes to use for a "final" protective over that finished substrate is very subjective.

Technique, pads, methods, tools, products, used correctly will create what one wishes to attain.

This is a "primer" of what a "buffing" process does.

Grumpy

ogeretla
09-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Simple to understand.

Compounding is an "abrasive" action. It removes some of the subject substrate that one is abrading away.

Polishing is a "burnishing" action. This second of the process is the one that removes the "abrading" marring of the subject surface, which then creates a smoother and more reflective surface, IE-gloss/shine of the selected surface.

What brand is promoted to do these two actions are just that, brand and personal selection of product, however, some are more effective in either of the processes.

Abrade away the deeper imperfections, which will leave a "hazy" apperance on the suface of the subject finish.

Burnish the "haze" created by the "abrasive use of a compound" and one achieves the "highly polished" finish that most wish to attain.

Whether it be paint, wood, metal, etc, the same basic`s apply.

What one wishes to use for a "final" protective over that finished substrate is very subjective.

Technique, pads, methods, tools, products, used correctly will create what one wishes to attain.

This is a "primer" of what a "buffing" process does.

Grumpy

Uh yeah, in lament terms please, I just want to know the difference between Simonize and compound and which would be better recommended for my car. My paint looks pretty good. It has a nice shine, however if you look closely the paint has some surface scratches.

Thanks in advance

Accumulator
09-22-2012, 02:32 PM
toicy4ya- Welcome to Autopia!

"Simonize" is a brand name, like saying "Hoovering" to mean vacuum cleaning. I myself would run far away from a detailing business that obfuscates their process by saying that.

Depending on a) the severity of the scratches, and b) the hardness/softness of your clearcoat, removing those seemingly minor scratches might be either a big tough or quick easy job. Just too hard to say without seeing the car or at least knowing more.

Q for ya- how do you plan to avoid reinstilling that marring. I mean...you get it compounded/polished/waxed and it`s OK, well...then what? One "normal wash", the way a typical person would do it or by running it through a carwash, and it`ll be all scratched up again.

C. Charles Hahn
09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Is that Jet Black, or Jerez Black? Hard to tell from your pic....

tonygxp
09-30-2012, 04:00 PM
toicy4ya- Welcome to Autopia!

"Simonize" is a brand name, like saying "Hoovering" to mean vacuum cleaning. I myself would run far away from a detailing business that obfuscates their process by saying that.

Depending on a) the severity of the scratches, and b) the hardness/softness of your clearcoat, removing those seemingly minor scratches might be either a big tough or quick easy job. Just too hard to say without seeing the car or at least knowing more.

Q for ya- how do you plan to avoid reinstilling that marring. I mean...you get it compounded/polished/waxed and it`s OK, well...then what? One "normal wash", the way a typical person would do it or by running it through a carwash, and it`ll be all scratched up again.

That`s the question, always. I tell people that ask about the "full" compound, polish, wax/seal detail, if they aren`t washing/caring properly expect the appearance to deteriorate within a few months (if not quicker). Those customers are the one`s i hit with the $249 clay, compound, polish, wax/seal (their choice) detail. (SUV`s $299-$349 depending on model) I find it makes them happy and does correct/hide numerous imperfections that are beyond the swirls induced by improper washing/drying techniques.. To the average enthusiasts, owners, the swirls are excepted, they want the paint smooth, water to bead and nice reflection. Those are the best customers aren`t they? lol

Good luck with your detail.

jay-d
09-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Wow man - people pay $249 for clay, compound, polish, wax/seal? Where do you live? Around by me it`s about $150 on Long Island, NY.

Do you do the interior too or that price for just exterior? Either way, more power to you for commanding those rates.

I used to detail back in the day. Had cards that said "That Detailer Jay" hahaha.

Now I just detail cars I`m flipping so don`t go buck. But looking into getting a mobile detailer to come by and clean the cars for me. However, I won`t pay more than $75 and they`ll do it and like it!!! :P

Accumulator
10-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow man - people pay $249 for clay, compound, polish, wax/seal?... I won`t pay more than $75 and they`ll do it and like it!!! :P

I dunno how much competent detailing you`re gonna get for $75.

togwt
10-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I dunno how much competent detailing you`re gonna get for $75.

I think most who read this can guess...( if I remember the pro`s were questioning (and rightly so) a detail for $150 no t so long ago

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141941-how-much-would-full-detail-my-vehicle-cost.html

Accumulator
10-02-2012, 07:07 AM
I think most who read this can guess [about that low price].....

Heh heh, yeah...I was soft-pedaling the issue so as not to appear too snarky ;)

HoffDetailing
10-04-2012, 04:08 AM
It`s all about finding that right customer that appreciates something extra.