PDA

View Full Version : General care advice for my pickup

SUPRNOVA
09-20-2012, 10:01 PM
So I`ve tried looking around and haven`t found too many topics about folks who aren`t looking for car show quality finishes. I`ve got a pickup that I use as a pickup, and that sits near the beach a lot of times for work, and that won`t fit in my garage so it`s always in the Southern California sun, 365 days a year. I`m gone so often that it gets washed maybe once every two months or so. If someone could just point me in the general direction for long lasting, durable paint, trim and interior care I would be appreciative.

Body wash - I`m considering a foam gun (if I could find a pressure washer adapter for less than $200) and chemical guys super suds to cut my washing time down from 2+ hours. Yes, 2 hours for a wash. It`s a 4x4 quad cab long bed pickup that requires at least a step stool for the hood, if not a ladder.

Tires, rims, under carriage, engine compartment and wheel well wash - I`ll be using a general purpose, diluted citrus based degreaser after reading some remarks from experienced folks and their general disdain towards "specialized" cleaners for these areas when a regular degreaser works just fine.

Protection - Right now I am using Meguiars GoldClass Carnuba PLUS, mostly because that`s what was on my shelf. It gets waxed maybe once a year, I wish I could do better but time at home is short. I don`t have any clue which tire protection would be a good durability application as opposed to just making them shiny. Shiny all terrains in sand don`t make for a good outcome.:wacko:

I also don`t know how to darken my black plastics. They all seem faded and old, what type of products would I use for keeping these looking black? I don`t want the layer of silicon over everything like a used car on a dealers lot, just good looking, long lasting protection.

Again, I did some searching but most guys seem to have cars that have regular cleaning schedules. Any advice, product recommendations or just general info for keeping up the paint that`s still doing fairly well after almost seven years would be great.

Thanks!

Randy

C. Charles Hahn
09-20-2012, 10:31 PM
I think you`ll find there are a lot of threads about Opti-Coat.... and that sounds like it would be a perfect option for your situation.

SUPRNOVA
09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Charles, thanks a lot for the insight. I will do some research and if I have any questions I`ll be sure to ask for clarification.

Perfections
09-21-2012, 08:16 AM
If you want to stick to waxing klasse aio, and their sealant is probably your best choice, but like Charles stated opti-coat sounds like what you need. It`s a permanent ceramic resin, so you`ll never have to wax the car again.

On the trim, the best I`ve found for a reasonable price is carpro dlux. Clean the trim with an all purpose cleaner, wipe down with a rag and some alcohol and apply the coating.

On the tires find yourself something called tuf shine. On knobby tires you`ll need to transfer the product into a fine mist spray bottle and spray it on.