PDA

View Full Version : Timing is everything- need polisher now.

Pages : [1] 2

PDoyle
09-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I have been waiting for the new HD DA to hit the shelves but it ain`t out yet. Right?

Found some good info. on the forum- a Griot`s 6" at BJ`s for around $90.

Should I pull the trigger?

David Fermani
09-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I would! 3D has no ETA for their next batch of polishers.

PDoyle
09-16-2012, 12:04 PM
ok, thanks for your help.

Has anyone asked if Autopia will price match and give them the sale?

I want to buy the pads too. Can you recommend ?

David Fermani
09-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Not sure what you mean...Price match? Pads?

Please elaborate...

Accumulator
09-16-2012, 12:15 PM
I want to buy the pads too. Can you recommend ?

If you`re referring to the Griot`s orange polishing pad and red waxing pad, they`re good to go IME.

The orange pad is *MUCH* more gentle than the "orange light cut pads" that others sell. The GG orange is a true *polishing* pad and might not be aggressive enough for serious correction. Also, it *MIGHT* be just a bit too aggressive for final polishing on extremely soft clears, but I`ve never run into that problem myself.

I like the GG orange polishing pad and use it a lot. I even choose it for use with most AIOs/paint cleaners. Very good pad that wears like iron, no velcro issues either.

The red waxing pad is also good and it lasts just about forever. For sealants I`d probably recommend the LC Gold pad instead, but I`ve never actually tried one as I`ve been satisfied with the Griot`s for my LSPing by machine.

I`m *NOT* a fan of GG Machine Polishes and I really dislike their Best of Show wax, but I understand people just buying kits where such stuff is often basically included for free. Just don`t spend extra money to get them; the pads are a different story and a kit with those included oughta be good.

Just be prepared to buy some more aggressive pads for serious correction.

pwaug
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Not sure what you mean...Price match? Pads?

Please elaborate...

David--I think what he means is that on most sites you can get a 6 pack of LC or Buff & Shine 5.5" Flat pads for $35 or six pack of 6" pads for $50. Six 5.5" HD pads would be $47.94. Thomas checked for me once and 3D wouldn`t price match.

David Fermani
09-16-2012, 04:20 PM
David--I think what he means is that on most sites you can get a 6 pack of LC or Buff & Shine 5.5" Flat pads for $35 or six pack of 6" pads for $50. Six 5.5" HD pads would be $47.94. Thomas checked for me once and 3D wouldn`t price match.

You might want to check in with Barry (3D of Manheim, PA) to see if he`ll do something in that arena. Especially if you`re in his area of the country.

PDoyle
09-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Not a big thing about the price matching thing. Wasn`t sure what the buying options were with guys on the site. The Autopia website has a banner on the front page noting their price matching...

C. Charles Hahn
09-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Not a big thing about the price matching thing. Wasn`t sure what the buying options were with guys on the site. The Autopia website has a banner on the front page noting their price matching...

Which Autopia website?

If you`re talking about autopia-carcare.com they have nothing to do with this site or with 3D. That store is owned by Autogeek.

imported_RZJZA80
09-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah it sounds like you`re looking at AG`s site, it has that banner at the top about meeting or beating anyone`s price.

PDoyle
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah it sounds like you`re looking at AG`s site, it has that banner at the top about meeting or beating anyone`s price.

Yes exactly. Anyway I hit up BJ`s.com and purchased the Griot`s 6" with a couple of pads.

My first project, a 23 ft boat.

Thanks all.

BigAl3
10-06-2012, 11:58 PM

autopia.org (the "original") has no affiliation with autopia-carcare or autopiaforums, the site you`re on now is the internet`s original car care forum and the best at that (lots of great info from the most talented/respected detailers/people around). if you hear the word "autopia", think of the forum/site first! :smile1:

C. Charles Hahn
10-07-2012, 12:30 AM
autopia.org (the "original") has no affiliation with autopia-carcare or autopiaforums, the site you`re on now is the internet`s original car care forum and the best at that (lots of great info from the most talented/respected detailers/people around). if you hear the word "autopia", think of the forum/site first! :smile1:

Just remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

Swanicyouth
10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Anyone check out this polisher yet from Harbor Freight. Went there and saw it in person. It looks familiar.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/08/unyjy6u4.jpg

David Fermani
10-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Looks very similar to the HD Polisher. You should buy one to see how it works.