PDA

View Full Version : Car Magnet Screw Up

likesTOlearn
09-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I took delivery of a 2013 BMW X3 in Vermilion Red about 3 weeks ago. Detailed the car shortly after and used Opti-Seal as the LSP. Unfortunately I allowed my wife to attach her three Car Magnets (after they were cleaned and dried) to the trunk of the car. We have used the car magnets on the trunks of other cars without any problem. Took the magnets off today, after they had been on for about two weeks max, to do an ONR wash and discovered they had left a rather strange imprint on the car. Looking at it you would think it was glue but their is no residue, it is an imprint right on the paint. Tried hand applied KAIO without any success to remove it. I don`t have a machine or machine polish to try to fix it and with my lack of knowledge in that area I wouldn`t even try. So I have three questions:

1. Does it look like this can be fixed with machine polishing or wet sanding?

2. Is there anyone on the forum in the South Jersey, Cherry Hill area that thinks they can fix it?

3. If it`s not fixable does it look like there is clear coat failure and if so what`s the best remedy to try to keep it from getting worse?

Thanks for any help guys. Photos are below.

http://i45.tinypic.com/xbwhkw.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/102nwad.jpg

Nth Degree
09-15-2012, 03:44 PM
It is unlikely that it is beyond repair. I`m not sure what it is exactly, perhaps some residue from the magnet. I am surprised that KAIO wasn`t able to make a dent. I am confident someone will be able to fix this without too much hassle. If I were you I would avoid the magnets, though. Even if they are clean when put on, dirt gets behind them and can scratch the hell out of the paint.

likesTOlearn
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
It looks like etching you would see from a bird bomb. The surface seems smooth, there are no scratches and there is no residue. It`s the strangest thing I`ve seen.

Jpostal
09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I had a customer come in with that same problem a few weeks ago. A light polish took care of it in a hurry.

imported_dfazekas
09-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Worked on a car with this same problem earlier last week. Light polish fixed things right up.

likesTOlearn
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I`m glad to hear this is fixable. That`s a relief. Now I just need to find someone who can do the work. Thanks for the feedback.

imported_dfazekas
09-15-2012, 04:50 PM
where are you located?

likesTOlearn
09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
where are you located?

Southern New Jersey. Near Cherry Hill.

likesTOlearn
09-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I`m also considering getting full paint correction and opti coat as the car sits outside 24-7. So if anyone is interested let me know or pm me.

cjbigcog
09-16-2012, 12:11 PM
After you get those marks removed, small squares of helicopter tape would prevent future marring. Tape is clear and easily removed.

ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 1 in. x 30 ft. (Transparent) : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://tinyurl.com/9p6p9l6)

911fanatic
09-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Those marks are typically left when there is moisture between the magnets and paint.