PDA

View Full Version : Color sanding with the PC

74 thing
03-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Has anyone color sanded with their PC-if so where did you get the products (interface pad and adhesive sanding disks), and what speed do you run your PC at? Can you describe how to do it using a pc-I am familiar doing it by hand, but I have a lot of flat surfaces and using a machine would be much faster. Do you have to wet the paper and surface like when you hand wet sand? Thanks in advance for the help!

C. Charles Hahn
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Honestly I think if I were in your shoes, I`d go to harbor freight and spend $30 on a pneumatic orbital with a palm grip. I think you`d have alot more control that way than using the PC. (Of course, I`m just assuming you have an air compressor)

TrueDetailer
03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Why do you want to use a power tool when wetsanding? The chances are alot higher in messing it up.

Why don`t you use a good ol` sanding block?

C. Charles Hahn
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Why do you want to use a power tool when wetsanding? The chances are alot higher in messing it up.

Why don`t you use a good ol` sanding block?

Apparently you`ve never seen Meguiar`s "How to remove paint defects" video....

74 thing
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Because the speed and quality of the work especially on flat panels would be better with an orbital as opposed to doing it by hand. Plus if I do not have to deal with the water running and creating a mess like I do when hand sanding, that would be good enough of a reason for me.

Shaun Carollo
03-24-2006, 05:34 PM
I wouldnt ever use a machine sander to sand a factory paint job if I were you. They are much thinner than a repainted panel would be. What kind of defects are you trying to remove?

TrueDetailer
03-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Apparently you`ve never seen Meguiar`s "How to remove paint defects" video....

Nope, sure havent.

"74thing" If speed is what your looking for then stick with the DA.

vwgtivw
03-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I agree with Shiny Lil Detlr get a pneumatic palm grip, that way if you need to use water it won`t shock you.

74 thing
03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
OK guys-thanks for all of your input/advice. I guess I am off to the autobody paint supply store to see what they carry.