PDA

View Full Version : Opt Hyperpolish to Opti-coat 2.0

Ncar1stdetail
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
1st post, long time lurker...learned a lot from you fellas.

question: how well do i have to get the hyperpolish off before i opti coat. I`ve heard everything from surgical clean (ipa/eraser/prepsol) to just damp water microfiber. reason i ask, is im worried b/c im very very new at this, i dont want to add more/aggressive steps with touching the paint after i polish and before i seal with opticoat. if Opt HP is miscible as dr david g. says and i leave some residue behind, how will it affect the effectiveness and appearance afterwards. more details below, not necessarily required for the question, but contextual.

Took delivery of a 2013 M3 jerez black. No detail by dealership. white sticker covering trunk, roof, and 3/4 of hood which i took off carefully. followed the new car detailing mantra: cgcw/foam gun/2bucket grit/sheepshin/ironx/clay/ipa. did notice some mild scrates after ipa @20-25%. I`m polishing (PC XP) after work 1-2 hrs a day with opt hyperpolish on lc white 5.5in. The minimal random scratches (eg by driver door handle, part of front hood exposed at delivery) i was able to get out stepping up to a 4in lc orange. So far, wiping each panel, the results are good on halogen/brinkman xenon. but using clean cobra yellow MF with distilled water, its tough to get 100% of the residue off. thats why im asking the question above. I plan to follow with a quick pass with LC black pad and opt HP just to try to get thing as good as possible before opticoat (overkill??).

thanks, sorry for the long post,

David Fermani
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I`d just call Dr. G to get his opinion. By for my 2 Cents, you can never be too safe/cautious when coating your car. You want the paint as bare as possible. I use Alcohol & Dawn personally.

Perfections
09-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Heya brother, here`s what I do if I`m polishing with hyper polish. Polish the 2x2 section, have an onr bucket sitting next to you and when your done polishing grab your towel and act like your doing a rinse less wash. The residue will come right off, inspect with lights to be sure you didn`t miss any residue and you can go straight to coating. And like David is saying, it doesn`t hurt to be safe, and an extra wipe with ipa or something like eraser will be sure you are setup for success!

imported_DetailDan
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
When using OPT polishes you just need an ONR wipe down prior to Opti Coat.

RaskyR1
09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I know Opt says it just needs a wipe down with a damp MF, but I always wash or ONR followed by Eraser. As David said, better safe than sorry. ;)

Guitarist302008
09-12-2012, 11:42 AM

I didn`t think ONR was much in terms of a stripping type of cleaner... for dirt and such yeah. I just mean in the sense making the paint very bare. IMO there is as David said... the alcohol and dawn wash is best IMO as well. I could and may very well be wrong... just better to be safe to me.

Scottwax
09-12-2012, 01:47 PM

I do a full ONR wash prior to applying the coating.

imported_DetailDan
09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
After Optimum Finish...any prep needed before OC 2.0 - Optimum Coatings - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1941)

Opti Coat 2.0 Prep Questions - Optimum Coatings - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1772)