PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Brand new `12 GTI paint help...

MFT
09-07-2012, 08:10 AM
So I picked up my brand new CW 2012 GTI from the dealer last Friday and it has been sitting in the garage since then as I`ve detailed it before rolling it out. I asked the dealer not to do any washing or to otherwise touch the car so as to avoid the Dealer Installed Swirl Option (DISO).

Anyway, I removed the remaining shipping materials, washed, IronX, rinsed, clayed, washed, Klasse AIO, and finally sealing with Meguiar`s Ultimate.

However, as I was applying the AIO, I noticed a couple of mottled spots on the paint, one on the roof and one on the rear passenger door. In this picture, it is the patchy spot right on the edge of the light-dark transition:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7949120170_fac64764d1.jpg

I went back and clayed these spots again, to no avail. Any idea what they are from and/or how to remove them?

Thanks!!

911fanatic
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Looks like staining from a bird bomb.

MFT
09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Looks like staining from a bird bomb.

Any idea how to remove it or what product to use?

imported_DetailDan
09-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Needs to be polished out.

MFT
09-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Needs to be polished out.

Ok, I have some Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and their Ultimate Compound, so I`ll give that a try and hopefully it will do better than the AIO.

Thanks!

MFT
09-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Ok, I have some Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and their Ultimate Compound, so I`ll give that a try and hopefully it will do better than the AIO.

Thanks!

One thing, it is okay to use some rubbing alcohol on the two patches to strip off the AIO that I`ve already applied? I figure it would be better to start from the clearcoat with the cleaner/compound rather than trying to work through the AIO and then get to the blemish...

Accumulator
09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
VFT- Welcome to Autopia!

The left edge of that etching kinda looks like it might`ve been protected by some transit-wrap or something...like a "hard straight edge" that separates the etched/not-etched areas. Anyhow...

Yeah, it`s OK to use IPA to strip the little bit of stuff that AIO leaves behind.

I`d kinda lean towards using a decontamination system to make sure all the [whatever it is] gets thoroughly neutralized, but that`s easy for me to say with the products already on my shelf.

And if the etching proves to be a lot deeper than you`d expect, I`d rather live with a little etching than live with radically thinned clearcoat.