PDA

View Full Version : Had to polish off some black goo from the commute this morning

AuAltima3.5
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
This morning my lover got this black goo (maybe driveway sealer? or some kind of black paint) all over the truck.

I was not told about it until I got home, since my love knows these things bother me :grinno:

I tried to clay with yellow griots clay (not very aggressive). I was worried about it curing so I used some Menzerna nano polish and a light cut pad to remove it (and some pesky swirls on the hood, too). It is an 08 Exlporer. I had to polish the chrome plated plastic and the headlights. Not happy about that because I worried about compromising their intergrity.

Question: Anyone had luck removing paint with a more aggresive clay? This stuff barely removes old bugs, but I like that it is so soft that I don`t worry about marring. I`ve seen posts where some people had to break out the wood / compound, so I feel like I came out pretty good.

Also, how bad is it to polish chrome plated plastic?

Ron Ketcham
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Just use mineral spirits and a follow up car wash. (available at any hardware store, big box home store or paint supply store, and it`s cheap)

No sense in making the removal harder that it really is.

Mineral spirits will not harm the paint, the chrome etc.

Mist it on, let it set until you see the "gunk" start to run off, that is to soften, remist, lightly wipe with a towel soaked in it to remove the residue and wash the vehicle.

It will remove any wax, but so will what you are doing, so then reapply whatever wax/sealant you use.

Grumpy

AuAltima3.5
09-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Just use mineral spirits and a follow up car wash. (available at any hardware store, big box home store or paint supply store, and it`s cheap)

No sense in making the removal harder that it really is.

Mineral spirits will not harm the paint, the chrome etc.

Mist it on, let it set until you see the "gunk" start to run off, that is to soften, remist, lightly wipe with a towel soaked in it to remove the residue and wash the vehicle.

It will remove any wax, but so will what you are doing, so then reapply whatever wax/sealant you use.

Grumpy

Yikes, mineral spirits seems really agressive? I am quite worried they`d damage the chrome plated plastic bits and the headlights.

Ron Ketcham
09-07-2012, 08:12 PM
That is in, in one form or another, almost all polishes, waxes, tar removers, wax removers, sealants, etc.

That is the truth, before I retired, I developed/formulated car care products.

Check my profile and photo gallery, might give you an idea of where I started and what I have done, still do with finishes, etc.

Mineral spirits is the safest of the hydorcarbon solvents that can be used today, without going on to another one, just as safe, but very hard for small chemical manufacturers to obtain and is in limited supply.

If you feel that it is "too agressive", then just start "rub-a-dub" on the surfaces with some polishes, etc (which contain mineral spirits) and let the marring, attacking of the clearcoat, begin.

Grumpy

Accumulator
09-08-2012, 11:45 AM
AuAltima3.5- I`d much rather use a solvent on "chromed plastic" than use something abrasive on it. The "chrome" (which isn`t chromium plating at all) is often quite fragile.

AuAltima3.5
09-09-2012, 02:44 PM
AuAltima3.5- I`d much rather use a solvent on "chromed plastic" than use something abrasive on it. The "chrome" (which isn`t chromium plating at all) is often quite fragile.

This is all good info. Hopefully I didn`t do too much "wear" to the chrome. I used Menzerna nano polish on a light cut pad.

I`ll have to invest in mineral spirits the next time it happens.

Ron Ketcham
09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
This is all good info. Hopefully I didn`t do too much "wear" to the chrome. I used Menzerna nano polish on a light cut pad.

I`ll have to invest in mineral spirits the next time it happens.

That is why this forum and site is heads above the "promotion" sites that will not allow information such as were provided to your inquiry.

3D allows, at their expense, for people who care about their vehicles to mention or recommend products other than those that they produce and sell.

On this site, you have access to people just like you or "long time and experienced" detailers advice, without a "banning" of them for providing information that does not meet the sales expectations of the forum creator.

If you are pleased with this sort of forum, pass it on to others.

Grumpy