PDA

View Full Version : Dealer storage...

Djulin
09-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, my new 13` Mustang GT just came in...very pumped! I can`t buy it till next month though. We are buying a house and the mortgage lender said do not acquire any debt until we close on the house so I won`t be able to pick it up until next month. The dealer is willing to store it until then though, which is awesome! He said it came in very dirty, so my question to you guys is, should I have him spray it down with water ONLY before he puts it in the warehouse or just leave it as is?

Ron Ketcham
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Water only will activate any acids or ferrous oxides on the vehicle.

Have them do a real carwash, by hand, is about the best you can ask for.

If, or when, you take delivery, inspect the finish, if it "feels rough to the touch", have them do the Ford-MotorCraft ABC system wash.

It is their approved and tested method, as per the service manuals for their vehicles, and the dealer is paid warranty by Ford to do this system wash.

That way, any of acids, etc are safely removed.

Grumpy

Djulin
09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I was asking for it untouched though. I heard dealers destroy cars. I was planning on doing the ABC system myself.

Ron Ketcham
09-04-2012, 02:36 PM
That`s fine, however, not all dealer`s do shoddy new car prep, some do, some don`t.

Your Mustang came off the line in Flat Rock, set in the lot for a few hours to a few days, then on a rail car, then up the road, a bout 2 miles north of the assembly plant, set for ???, then hooked on to a train headed to Ford`s railhead in the Pittsburg area.

Was off loaded, set for some more time in that "rail dust" area storage lot, plus all it`s other "setting" in similar enviorment.

Then, after ??? days, on a truck to the dealership.

Just a little info on what vehicles normally go through before they ever get to a dealership.

Grumpy

Djulin
09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
So what you are saying is that you think I should just have them detail it since it`s going to be stored for another month? Would it be a bad idea to leave it dirty in storage since the water will activate the acids?

imported_DetailDan
09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Covered storage, or outdoors?

C. Charles Hahn
09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
That`s fine, however, not all dealer`s do shoddy new car prep, some do, some don`t.

Yup, some do. For that reason, it`s not worth the risk IMO.

Just tell him to park it, un-touched. Or ask if he`d mind you coming in and washing it yourself before he sends it to the warehouse.

Ron Ketcham
09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Like D&D says, if inside not a problem, if outside, it`s going to be exposed to some moisture, some heat and that is what starts the process to get going of the corrosives.

Grumpy

Djulin
09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
It`s going to be stored indoors, so maybe i`ll have them just leave it as is.

Accumulator
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
It`s going to be stored indoors, so maybe i`ll have them just leave it as is.

I would absolutely have them leave it as is :xyxthumbs

Just not worth the risk.