PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 07 Black MDX used...needs paint correction in San Diego!!!

hollaback
09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I would do it myself, but I don`t own a DA or a rotary...wifey won`t let me buy anymore detailing toys because I "already spent" enough just buying the black beast.

Anybody out there that has any gear or a recommended mobile detailer that can help...I will compensate somehow! LOL

It has swirl marks, bird poop etchings, hazy headlights, and bad touchup paint jobs on every panel...

I am in Chula Vista

Thanks!

Envious Eric
09-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I cruise down there all the time, well, parts of SD county that is...

what are you looking for? budget?

email if you want to talk things over

enviousdetailing@gmail.com

hollaback
09-04-2012, 10:32 PM
I cruise down there all the time, well, parts of SD county that is...

what are you looking for? budget?

email if you want to talk things over

enviousdetailing@gmail.com

I wasn`t looking at any more than 250 max to revitalize the paint...I just clayed and put on some opti-seal on this past weekend. She doesn`t look horrible, but probably wouldn`t be ready to get the paint correction done until 2nd half of October...gives me some time to launder some money away from the eyes of the warden...I mean the wife :cool1: then the opti-seal will probably be gone by then. Please let me know if I am lowballing on the budget...maybe a few pictures of the condition of the paint would help?

Envious Eric
09-06-2012, 08:41 PM
definite lowball there.

Bird etchings will require compounding more than likely, bad touch ups will require wetsanding possibly, and black paint swirl marks cannot be removed in just one step without filling them in (they will reappear).

your budget for this from someone who knows what they are doing would more than likely be in the 400-600 range to be honest. Sure you can get it done at the local car wash for $99, but..........it wont be done

hollaback
09-08-2012, 10:08 AM
your budget for this from someone who knows what they are doing would more than likely be in the 400-600 range to be honest. Sure you can get it done at the local car wash for $99, but..........it wont be done

One of the highly recommended detailers in Carlsbad had their price for comprehensive paint correction start at 700 bucks, so I know what the best folks like yourself charge to make sure the job is done right.

Like I said before, the paint doesn`t look horrible however I have extreme OCD with my vehicles. It helps that the new van I bought last year is white because I can`t see any swirl marks in the sun the same way that I do with this black MDX (it was a lease return).

At the end of the day, I think I know the solution...I have to put some money together to buy my own DA with some compounds/polishes/pads then learn how to do this all myself. It will be a great hobby over the weekend and if I get good enough maybe it can be a side gig...however it would be alot easier to maintain the paint once the paint is corrected and rejuvenated by a professional...I need to win one of those scratch/win lotto cards!

Envious Eric
09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
me too man, me too!!!

detailedimage sometimes has package stuff that willsave you a couple bucks.

I recommend the Griots DA (lifetime warranty), menzerna SIP and 106, ezcream glaze, menzerna powerlock...orange, white, black pads. Or you can try out the D300 and MF pad, then 106/black pad combo

hollaback
09-08-2012, 12:07 PM
me too man, me too!!!

If I won, I could get one of those fancy dancy Flex DA`s with all the different pads!

One option that I stumbled into that I can probably conn my wife into agreeing to for my birthday is:

Chemical Guys has a storefront on the 15 somewhere after Miramesa, but before Escondido...they actually can do detailing there, but the fellow who runs the show there actually books 1 on 1 training every other Saturday.

You bring your car in as the test subject...all equipment and products are fair game. It`s for 4 hours...I figure I intensively go after the paint after he teaches me the basics...however the knowledge I could gain with the professional watching over my shoulder is worth more than the 250 or so bucks that he charges.