PDA

View Full Version : Collnite 915 and application of 845

Fallz
09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
it`s a daily driver . I plan on doing Collinite for winter. whats your thoughts on #915 ? IS IT WORTH IT ?? I`ll be using it for winter on my black Tahoe . I have to order some 845 anyway so way wondering what your thoughts were. I already have #476s.

Last time Im used 845 on a black truck I ended up with a brownish haze on my GMC . Has this happened to anyone else ? Maybe its from not polishing or cleaning the paint properly . I don`t think I did that. I really like 845 on lighter color but can be kind of a stinker on black.

imported_RZJZA80
09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
915 is great, easier to apply and remove than 476 also and looks better, but won`t last quite as long.

Guitarist302008
09-05-2012, 01:08 AM
For a wax... Collinite 915 is one of the best I have used. In extreme heat of course it`s not going to last as long... in colder weather and especially with a PH neutral car wash you will get some decent miles out of it. I used to apply 2-3 coats of it on my old 370z bumper and bugs and everything seemed to come off with just a hard spray from a standard water hose. It`s a solid caranuba so it`s pretty pure... all of them have additives, I would imagine this one has a bit less. I let it dry exactly 8 minutes before wiping off... otherwise it got harder with each passing minute.

As far as I know, you would want to top the 845 with the 915 if you are going to use both. I think the 845 has some cleaning properties from what I recall so you don`t want to remove what you just added :biggrin1:

Accumulator
09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
it`s a daily driver . I plan on doing Collinite for winter. whats your thoughts on #915 ? IS IT WORTH IT ?? I`ll be using it for winter on my black Tahoe . I have to order some 845 anyway so way wondering what your thoughts were. I already have #476s...

Eh, I`d just use the 476S, even if the 915 did look a little bit better. I mean...you`re concerned enough about wasting the money to ask if it`s worth it and IMO that usually means the answer is "no".

Last time Im used 845 on a black truck I ended up with a brownish haze on my GMC . Has this happened to anyone else ? Maybe its from not polishing or cleaning the paint properly . I don`t think I did that. I really like 845 on lighter color but can be kind of a stinker on black.

It was the prep. GM black can do that if you don`t get the polishing rigt, and not just with 845.

Guitarist302008
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Eh, I`d just use the 476S, even if the 915 did look a little bit better. I mean...you`re concerned enough about wasting the money to ask if it`s worth it and IMO that usually means the answer is "no".

It was the prep. GM black can do that if you don`t get the polishing rigt, and not just with 845.

The 476 I think is what I was thinking of when I said the 845. The 845 is the insulator wax iirc. OP, disreguard what I said about it stripping off the other wax. I don`t think insulator wax will strip it. I`m not positive as I have not worked with it before TBH. I think the 476 is the one with the cleaners in it?

Either way, I do stand by what I said about the 915. IMO it`s a great wax, but a sealant is pretty much ALWAYS going to give you longer life. If I were you and you want something for winter that will last a good while, i`d go with Menzerna powerlock.

Accumulator
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
The 476 I think is what I was thinking of when I said the 845. The 845 is the insulator wax iirc. OP, disreguard what I said about it stripping off the other wax. I don`t think insulator wax will strip it. I`m not positive as I have not worked with it before TBH. I think the 476 is the one with the cleaners in it?

Let`s see if I can clarify this stuff a little; I`ve used 845 and 476S both alone and in combination for a long time.

845 Insulator Wax doesn`t strip previously applied glazes/LSPs IME, despite its seemingly high solvent content.

845 can be used on exterior trim.

476S does not contain cleaners.

476S can often be used on exterior trim, but you gotta do it right (W-O-W-O, for one thing) and if you don`t do it just right you`ll get white staining (so generally...."don`t try this at home, kids!").

FWIW, on the vehicle I Collinite (older dark blue Audi) I usually do a base coat of 845 and let it cure for at least a day. Then a coat of 476S. If time/circumstances permit, I`ll usually top the 476S with another coat of 845, otherwise I just wait until after the next wash (or the next few washes) and reapply 845, preferably before it`s really necessary.

Yeah, there`s a subtle diff between how the 476S and the 845 look, and some people might prefer the 476S by itself (dark colors) or just the 845 (generally I`d expect that on lighter colors).

If I`m only doing one coat for some reason (e.g., somebody else`s vehicle) I usually just do one coat of 476S and leave it at that. It looks fine and lasts longer than 845 would.

I have no problem letting either one dry for a good long time before I buff it off (except when using on trim). Thin thin thin applications, a tin of 476S or a bottle of 845 oughta last for many years if you`re applying it sparingly enough to keep it user-friendly.

I find Collinite waxes *usually* last a long time, but in some odd cases they simply haven`t lasted as long as I would`ve expected and I`ve never figured out why. Generally, they last at least as long as many sealants such as UPP and BF. They often provide better protection against etching from stuff like bugs and bird-bombs.

Guitarist302008
09-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Let`s see if I can clarify this stuff a little; I`ve used 845 and 476S both alone and in combination for a long time.

845 Insulator Wax doesn`t strip previously applied glazes/LSPs IME, despite its seemingly high solvent content.

845 can be used on exterior trim.

476S does not contain cleaners.

476S can often be used on exterior trim, but you gotta do it right (W-O-W-O, for one thing) and if you don`t do it just right you`ll get white staining (so generally...."don`t try this at home, kids!").

FWIW, on the vehicle I Collinite (older dark blue Audi) I usually do a base coat of 845 and let it cure for at least a day. Then a coat of 476S. If time/circumstances permit, I`ll usually top the 476S with another coat of 845, otherwise I just wait until after the next wash (or the next few washes) and reapply 845, preferably before it`s really necessary.

Yeah, there`s a subtle diff between how the 476S and the 845 look, and some people might prefer the 476S by itself (dark colors) or just the 845 (generally I`d expect that on lighter colors).

If I`m only doing one coat for some reason (e.g., somebody else`s vehicle) I usually just do one coat of 476S and leave it at that. It looks fine and lasts longer than 845 would.

I have no problem letting either one dry for a good long time before I buff it off (except when using on trim). Thin thin thin applications, a tin of 476S or a bottle of 845 oughta last for many years if you`re applying it sparingly enough to keep it user-friendly.

I find Collinite waxes *usually* last a long time, but in some odd cases they simply haven`t lasted as long as I would`ve expected and I`ve never figured out why. Generally, they last at least as long as many sealants such as UPP and BF. They often provide better protection against etching from stuff like bugs and bird-bombs.

I definitely love my 915 and it really does a great job when it comes to bugs coming off easily, etc. My car is opti-coated now, but I wish I could still use the 915 and get at least a month out of it, but I don`t think over OC that will ever happen.... so I don`t even bother. I have to say that even though OC has some drawbacks... it`s still saved my cars finish in a lot of ways. I think I have 4 chips in the front of the car... it`s AWD and crappy paint, but there is NO sandblasting at all and there are no scratches anywhere on the finish.

I do sometimes find myself wanting to strip the OC off and put about 10 layers of powerlock on the car for that awesome slickness it gives... but the OC just has one up on any standard wax or sealant out there.