PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pittsburgh

chikuni
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Hello everyone! This may be odd, but I was lurking in the forums the last several days getting information about detailing products. My husband is getting a 2001 black Mercedes s430 this week and I was hoping to suprise him with a detailing kit. I have already purchased megs car wash and detailing clay and would like some input on polishes and waxes that I could get that wouldn`t break the bank! Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Paul2011
09-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Welcome to autopia, Are you planning to apply the polishes by hand or by a DA polisher.

chikuni
09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I`m not sure yet. I`m looking to probably get him a da polisher eventually, but probably not at first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Paul2011
09-02-2012, 08:46 AM
For the best possible correction I would recommend the DA polisher but waiting is not a bad idea, I would recommend the DA polish kit from HD, It comes with everything you need to get a great finish but right now its sold out, keep checking in and when its back on the market there should be a post. It comes with HD speed (all in 1 polish and wax), the machine, 3 discs (yellow, green and black) and microfiber towel to buff away the hd speed. But for by hand application I`ve had great luck with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, gives light paint correction, a nice shine and a soar arm when your done with the entire vehicle. Top it off with something like Opti-Seal and you got a really nice deep shine. Ill Post a Picture of a BMW I did using the hand polish.

Paul2011
09-02-2012, 08:58 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/THENAMESxPAUL/DSC00140.jpg

ONR Wash

Clayed using griot`s garage clay

3 Times over with the autoglym super resin polish

Finally treated with Opti-Seal

Looks great but there are still small swirls that I just couldn`t remove by hand.

This was 1 of my first cars when I started my business before I could afford a DA polisher, owner was very happy saying he has never seen the paint look this good since he has bought the car.

Paul Sparks
09-02-2012, 09:30 AM
If you read about any certain detailng product that you think you may want to try before buying , post a request in the forums and many of the members are willing to share a sample or two. And welcome to the forum.

Brad B
09-02-2012, 11:56 AM
You mentioned the car is black so it will likely come with some minor polishing needs but I would suggest taking baby steps and simply getting a "All In One" cleaner wax/sealant so that you are taking care of light imperfections and adding protection in one step. There are several good products to choose from. And this is the most budget friendly start as well.

Down the road when you get a buffer then get specific polishes for further paintwork, if needed.

First, be sure to get good applicators, microfiber towels and drying towels.

What a great gal you are! Lucky husband. :)

chikuni
09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I was pm`d info on a store in my area that sells quality products (Autoality). I am going to check them out. I will probably start with all an all in one and let him work his way up!