PDA

View Full Version : Which pads do I really need?

imported_Hulk311
08-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I am going to purchase Meguiar`s Professional Dual Action Polisher (G110v2) and would like to know which pads I really need.

Does this sound about right?

Cutting pad - can be used to remove scratches and can be used with paint cleaner

polishing pad - polish

buffing pad - wax

Also what`s the best way to clean the pads, as well as terry cloths and microfiber mittens? Thanks for any advice!

togwt
08-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Lake Country (LC) Mfg - Constant Pressure™ Foam Pads have a layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate. This layer acts as a cushion or shock absorber between the machine, the operator and the surface being worked on. It absorbs off-axis motion while maintaining a constant and uniform pressure on the surface; Lake Country (LC) Mfg Constant Pressure™ technology allows even a neophyte detailer to achieve professional-like results.

(LC) Foam Pad (suggested) Starter kit-

• CCS Orange 5.5 -inch Light Cutting Foam Pad

• CCS White 5.5 -inch Polishing Foam Pad

• CCS Black 5.5 -inch Finishing Foam Pad

• CCS Blue 5.5 - inch Finessing Foam Pad

• LC Flexible Backing Plate

The above foam pads are from Lake Country Mfg Manufacturing Inc. There is no standardization for the colours used to identify the abrasiveness of foam pads; as a consequence manufacturers adopt their own system of colours, which can lead to confusion. I would go with 2 of each to start with

[Also what`s the best way to clean the pads, as well as terry cloths and microfiber mittens?]

Déj` vu all over again - http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing-sanding/142106-pads-pad-care.html

pwaug
08-30-2012, 06:34 AM
I think most of the detailers here would recommend flat pads, with no dimples for the most effective correction. You might want to take a look at 3D, Buff & Shine and Uber pads (they are all the same) as they have a recessed Velcro that IMO offers an extra margin of safety when working around protruding objects. I would start with 4 Yellow or Orange (depending on paint hardness and condition) for cutting, 3 or 4 Green for Polishing, and 1 red for each LSP you plan to use. You could add couple black if you plan to do any "final finishing" before applying your LSP. More pads are better so you can change them out often during a session.

To clean them on the fly after every panel I use a terry towel and a nylon denture brush (from the dollar store)--hold lightly against the pad while running the polisher on speed 3. After completed I clean the pads with Dawn Power Dissolver (Walmart $2.83), rinse very well, put between folded terry towel on the floor and stand on each pad then allow to air dry with the velcro up.

You might also want to look at the Griots Garage polisher as it is powerful and has a lifetime warranty.

IHA Mark
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
I would suggest the Meguiar`s DA Microfiber kit. Simple to use, two pad system. Takes alot of the "which pad?" guesswork out for newer detailers. If you are looking to cut and level the paint, use the cut pad. If you are wanting to polish, use the polish pad.

White lexus 23
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree with mark and pwaug. Flat pads imho are better for correction. Also it depends on how bad your paint finish is. if it is new with very light to no swrils a lake country white pad or meguiars yellow and the right polish should be just fine. But if it is a little worse than that either the lake country orange or meguiars burgandy or even better the meguiars microfiber pad system would be great. I have not tired the new lake country microfiber pads maybe someone that has could chime in. But I usually use the pads I listed most often. but mainly the lake country orange and meguiars burgandy.

IHA Mark
08-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I have not tired the new lake country microfiber pads maybe someone that has could chime in. But I usually use the pads I listed most often. but mainly the lake country orange and meguiars burgandy.

I have 4 of the new LC micro fibers on order, should be here tomorrow. I will post a review thread next week sometime.

AutoDud90
08-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I agree with mark and pwaug. Flat pads imho are better for correction. Also it depends on how bad your paint finish is. if it is new with very light to no swrils a lake country white pad or meguiars yellow and the right Car Parts Wholesale (http://motorfiend.com/) should be just fine. But if it is a little worse than that either the lake country orange or meguiars burgandy or even better the meguiars microfiber pad system would be great. I have not tired the new lake country microfiber pads maybe someone that has could chime in. But I usually use the pads I listed most often. but mainly the lake country orange and meguiars burgandy.

My friend has that has the microfiber pads, I`ll ask them how they are.

Accumulator
08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Hulk311- Welcome to Autopia!

Your pad selection will, so some extent, depend on what kind of paint you`re working (hard/soft) and what you`re trying to achieve.

For cutting, I`d generally go with the MF cutting disks. Oh, and I would *NOT* use a cutting pad with "paint cleaners".

Unless you`re dealing with very soft paint, I`d probably recommend the Griot`s Garage orange polishing pads. They`re different from other brands of "orange pads" (much more gentle) and they work well with polishes, paint cleaners, and all-in-one products. But again, if you have very soft paint you might want to use something else.

For waxing, which you might want to just do by hand, I really like the Griot`s red waxing pad. Works fine and wears like iron IME.

Heh heh, the above sorta sounds like a Griot`s ad! I do like (*FLAT*) pads from other makers like Lake Country, Meguiar`s, etc. but the above suggestions oughta work fine.

jmsc
08-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I would be interested in ANY feedback on these new LC MF pads.

Almost bot some last week but decided to wait for pro/cons on them before putting down more $$$ on more product.

vtextc
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Bump for the OP. Any reviews on the LC MF pads? I`m looking at picking up a few for use with M105. Any comments? Feedback?

Cheers

A

David Fermani
09-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Replies in Red

I am going to purchase Meguiar`s Professional Dual Action Polisher (G110v2) and would like to know which pads I really need.

Does this sound about right?

Cutting pad - can be used to remove scratches and can be used with paint cleaner

Meg`s MF Cutting Pad

polishing pad - polish

HD Blue Finishing pad

buffing pad - wax

HD Red applicator pad

Also what`s the best way to clean the pads, as well as terry cloths and microfiber mittens? Thanks for any advice!

Compressed air and a pad conditioning brush.

togwt
09-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Bump for the OP. Any reviews on the LC MF pads? I`m looking at picking up a few for use with M105. Any comments? Feedback?

Cheers

A

“Microfiber Pads” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/142378-microfiber-pads-part-i.html

vtextc
09-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Many thanks TOGWT!

A

Justin1
09-18-2012, 04:10 AM
I am using microfiber pads.