PDA

View Full Version : Detailing A Show Car

I'm_ILL
08-28-2012, 02:19 AM
A new client of mine has a 1982 Cadillac Fleetwood. This car is all original everything and is garaged kept and covered. It only comes out when he brings it to local car shows. From what I saw the paint is in great shape and has layers upon layers of wax and is butter smooth. I will be doing a full detail on September 19th the day before he brings it to Wild Wood, NJ for a big car show. My question is what do I do? Do I remove all the wax before I re-apply new wax? A sealant like HD nitro then wax? And what would you use to remove the wax? The only rules he has on that car is no buffers so everything will have to be done by hand. Suggestions?

blucpe
08-28-2012, 09:56 AM
personally i would strip all the layers of wax from the paint and start with a clean slate. clay, polish, protect.

imported_DetailDan
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I don`t understand why the customer is telling you what you can and cant do, you are supposed to be the professional? It is a little concerning however, that you are asking "what do I do" on a show car.

imported_RZJZA80
08-28-2012, 10:42 AM
This has two fails written all over it: first the client is telling you how to do your job, second you are asking here how to do your job.

rdorman
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Pass, just pass.

C. Charles Hahn
08-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Pass, just pass.

Agreed. Not worth the aggravation of dealing with the client, and not worth the risk if the detailer doesn`t even know where to begin with approaching the job.

Thomas Dekany
08-28-2012, 01:52 PM
If you want to take the job, use HD SPEED with an applicator or some other paint cleaner, to get all the previous waxes off and top it with NITRO SEAL. No need to "wax" on top of Nitro Seal. Easy job, charge him top dollar, for not using a machine. :D

A new client of mine has a 1982 Cadillac Fleetwood. This car is all original everything and is garaged kept and covered. It only comes out when he brings it to local car shows. From what I saw the paint is in great shape and has layers upon layers of wax and is butter smooth. I will be doing a full detail on September 19th the day before he brings it to Wild Wood, NJ for a big car show. My question is what do I do? Do I remove all the wax before I re-apply new wax? A sealant like HD nitro then wax? And what would you use to remove the wax? The only rules he has on that car is no buffers so everything will have to be done by hand. Suggestions?

I'm_ILL
08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
If you want to take the job, use HD SPEED with an applicator or some other paint cleaner, to get all the previous waxes off and top it with NITRO SEAL. No need to "wax" on top of Nitro Seal. Easy job, charge him top dollar, for not using a machine. :D

I guess I was tired when I typed this and could have worded it better. Without the use of a DA I`m a little lost. The paint needs little to no correction and with so much wax how lengthy the time process to remove it by hand? Is HD Speed really enough?

Thomas Dekany
08-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, SPEED will be enough to get those layers off. You will see.

I guess I was tired when I typed this and could have worded it better. Without the use of a DA I`m a little lost. The paint needs little to no correction and with so much wax how lengthy the time process to remove it by hand? Is HD Speed really enough?

IHA Mark
08-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Why is he having you detail it if there are layers and layers of wax? It sounds like he might be expecting something beyond what already sounds like a beautiful car.

Might want to pass on this one.

This might be one of those times when the expectations can never meet the result, no matter how good.

I'm_ILL
09-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I`m just going to have to talk to him about it and discuss the proper way to do it and see what exactly he is looking for. He has 3 daily drivers between him and his wife that I maintain and he`s been a great referral for new business passing my number along. He is one of very few that I want to do right by and keep the great relationship going.

dschribs
09-01-2012, 09:53 PM
This has two fails written all over it: first the client is telling you how to do your job, second you are asking here how to do your job.

Please, please, please - no use of the term "fail" or "fails" on the forums. I`m beggin` ya...please....