PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Restoration?

clnfrk
08-27-2012, 08:19 PM
I am wanting to do the headlights on my truck and came across this site Headlight Restoration Kits - Headlamp Restoration Kits - GlasWeld (http://www.glasweld.com/headlight-restoration-kits/)

I was thinking of getting their clear coat spray only instead of the whole kit which runs several hundreds of dollars. How necessary do you think that curing with the UV lamp would be? What about just sticking the lens in the oven for a bit instead?

Ron Ketcham
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM
There are several threads regarding this subject on the forums.

I wouldn`t spend the money, as most of the clear urethane sprays that are readily available contain UV blockers.

Sunlight will cure the spray, and since sunlight has a lot of UV`s in it, that will do the curing should you go the high dollar way.

Check out TWGT`s thread on the subject

Grumpy.

4AudiQ
08-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Detailing: Plastic Headlight Restoration

February 13, 2012

From Auto Geek Forum:

My process is basically already well known:

Wetsand-400, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 (Ed.: I added 3000)

Buff-System one polish or equivalent with a high speed drill with small wool pad attachment

But here is the "new" part......

UV Sealer-Helmsman Spar Urethane(Indoor/Outdoor)Clear Gloss mixed with Mineral Spirits(1part urethane to 1 part mineral spirits).

After you buff the lights out with your polisher, you wipe down the headlight with denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol (to eliminate any compound residue).

Mix the urethane and mineral spirits in a plastic disposable cup. Remember the dilution ration- 1 part to 1 part.

Then, take a blue `scott` shop rag and fold it up into a 1 inch x 1 inch square(Ed.: I used a 2" wide foam brush). Then dip the rag into the mixture and wipe it on the headlight. Don’t use too much or it might run, but start at the top of the light and work side to side. It took me a few times to get my method down, so if you mess up with application, wipe it off with mineral spirits and start over.

This UV sealant dries in 10-20 mins usually and is far superior to any average detail product(paint sealant, wax etc.......)

Its like a clear cote, but you don’t spray it, not as messy.

Longevity-The original "creator" of this method told me that he did a headlight restoration with this method about 2 years ago for a customer, and he said it still looks good.

Editor: August 28, 2012 - I used this method on my wife’s 2003 Jetta back in February. She asked me if I installed new headlights when I showed her my work at that time. I must admit, they look that good, even after 6 months. I probably spent under $10.00.

ray6
08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Not the same thing, but exposing the headlights to sunlight is the same as exposing to UV lamps. I used an UV curing system years ago but used sunlight instead of lamps. Cheaper and faster.

ray6

ray6
10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
You don`t usually remove headlights for restoring. Anyway, heat won`t do it. It must be UV, but it can be from the sun instead of UV lamps.

chrisguga
10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I used OptiCoat 2.0 after I sanded and polished my wife`s headlights. Worked great and still looks good a year later.

polishd
10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Second the Opti Coat seems to work great with headlights, as far as the kits go they are generally a rip off just buy the supplies yourself.

Headlight Restoration Adelaide (http://www.polishd.com.au/headlights.html)

Innovative Detailing
10-10-2012, 12:10 PM
IMO, after so many years of training others and providing this service for customers alike, UV curing technology is the way to go. After the UV coating is applied, I can count on these lenses to be cured completely for my customer to drive away in no more than 5-8 minutes and provide a written warranty for up to 3 years. Currently we use only the Presta Renulite system in our training as we have joined forces with the company direclty to offer our West Coast Headlight Lens Restoration Clinic and Certification.

Do keep in mind that this process is more than just the final coat, that`s just the icing on the cake. Learning how to resurface the lens correctly, proper inspection, choosing the right resurfacing discs, wipe down in between steps, more inspecting. Understanding how polycarbonate lenses react to resurfacing is extremely important (Heat is your enemy)...all of this is very important. You will find that if you do this often electric d/a`s will not cut it, I recommend an investment in air tools (preferred method). The last thing you want to do is turn out a butchered lens for your customer!

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/HLR%202002%20Porsche%20996%20Cabriolet/DSC_1191.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/HLR%202002%20Porsche%20996%20Cabriolet/20120917_165600.jpg

pel109
10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
If you want to do a professional Headlight Restoration job on your vehicle (or anyone elses), take a look at the Renulite product from Presta Products. It features a UV curing aerosol spray hard coat to protect the restoration. Ford Motor Company has tested and approved their sealant in their weatherometer in Detroit... to last a minimum of 3 years. it is the only product on the market that has OEM testing and approval meeting ASE J2527 paint testing protocols. it cures with a UV lamp or in sunlight in just 10 minutes. Ford is now using it in their dealerships because of how quick, easy and long lasting the sealant is to use. Presta has a full length training video on their website so you can see start to finish how to use the system.... prestaproducts.com

pel109
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I saw a product from Presta at the SEMA show last year...called Renulite. It features a UV curing hardcoat to preserve the clarity of the repair. It cures (rock hard) in 10 minutes using the sun. Ford Motor company tested and approved the sealant in their weatherometer facility and is endorsing it use in their Ford/Lincoln dealerships. Renulite was tested (by Ford) to last a minimum of 3 years in the harshest UV conditions imaginable (weatherometer). The entire process takes half hour (both headlights) and they have a complete video on their website (prestaproducts.com). I watched a complete demonstration at their booth and im convinced it is the best product on the market... and the only one that has a certification from a major OEM - Ford Motor Company. Presta will be a SEMA again this year demonstrating the product. BTW you don`t have to remove the lenses.

It`s a 4 step process: Tape around headlights!

(1) Sand off old cloudy sealant w 600 grit sand paper (even white cloudy appearance when properly sanded)

(2) Polish lens with compound and buffing pad. kit provides a drill adapter,3" buffing Pad and compound

(3) clean lens with included lens drier. (Micro Fiber towel not included)

(4) Spray the sealant onto the lens surface: spray heavy coat starting from top of lens moving down face of lens with overlapping spray pattern. Product is designed to run down the front of lens and leaves behing a perfect finish. Sealant appears whitish in color infused with bubbles at first, but clears (flashes) off within 30 seconds...leaving a crystal clear finish.

(5) Allow sealant 8 minutes to completely Flash off solvent and place vehicle facing into the sun. 10 minutes later you have a new OEM hard coat that is scratch resistant and will remain crystal clear for a minimum of three years (under worst uv conditions). Your lights will most likely remain clear longer - your car will not be exposed to 24 hour sunlight like the Ford Testing.

all products can be purchased on their web site or auto paint stores around the country.

KenAllwine
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I am looking at adding this service and was wondering where you guys are getting your UV curing lights? I have only seen the one from Glasworks for $195.00. I have to believe that there is a more cost effective product out there. It seems that is nothing more than a fluorescent fixture with UV bulbs. Am I wrong?

pel109
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Ken,

the UV fixture is not just a "shop light" fixture with uv bulbs. the fixture has high energy ballast and must be matched by energy and wavelength to the bulbs being used. That is why they are more expensive. However, the Presta Renulite UV cure sealant can be cured in the sun in 10 - 15 minutes

white gecko
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
IMO, after so many years of training others and providing this service for customers alike, UV curing technology is the way to go. After the UV coating is applied, I can count on these lenses to be cured completely for my customer to drive away in no more than 5-8 minutes and provide a written warranty for up to 3 years. Currently we use only the Presta Renulite system in our training as we have joined forces with the company direclty to offer our West Coast Headlight Lens Restoration Clinic and Certification.

Do keep in mind that this process is more than just the final coat, that`s just the icing on the cake. Learning how to resurface the lens correctly, proper inspection, choosing the right resurfacing discs, wipe down in between steps, more inspecting. Understanding how polycarbonate lenses react to resurfacing is extremely important (Heat is your enemy)...all of this is very important. You will find that if you do this often electric d/a`s will not cut it, I recommend an investment in air tools (preferred method). The last thing you want to do is turn out a butchered lens for your customer!

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/HLR%202002%20Porsche%20996%20Cabriolet/DSC_1191.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/HLR%202002%20Porsche%20996%20Cabriolet/20120917_165600.jpg

David has nailed it. Couldn`t have said it better.

Of course you could always have a local guy who charges $50 hack it up for you and "re-coat" it with imaginary products.... lol

Innovative Detailing
01-10-2013, 03:47 AM
David has nailed it. Couldn`t have said it better.

Of course you could always have a local guy who charges $50 hack it up for you and "re-coat" it with imaginary products.... lol

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it...and actually, you couldn`t of said it any better!

By the way for those that are in the SoCal or near by areas, I am putting on a Pro-Level HLR Clinic this Saturday January 12, 2013 with the support of Meguiar`s Car Care Products.

http://youtu.be/saEfRlPQnGA

Here is a link for you all to check out whats going on at the event, and as a New Year Special I am offering a "Stimulus Discount" on the entry level package. This will be for a limited amount of forum members only, so don`t miss out on this opportunity to take your HLR to the next level. I also offer 1 on 1 training for those that are interested in learning and that are unable to make it to this unique event.

January 12, 2013 - Pro-Level Headlight Lens Restoration and Certification Clinic (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?57350-January-12-2013-Pro-Level-Headlight-Lens-Restoration-and-Certification-Clinic)

Thanks Dave Fermani for allowing me to post this here..

Feel free to pm or call me for more info!

Have a great day!

derek37
01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Great video David.