PDA

View Full Version : Mf Warning Porsche 997

Deanski
03-23-2006, 04:34 PM
URGENT READ FOR THOSE DETAILING 997 PORSCHE!

Use extreme caution with the static build-up with MF towels while cleaning up a Porsche 997!

There is a post on our forum RENNLIST in the 997 section about static build-up causing the front control modules which then fault the system. Mostly `05 year are effected and don`t know about `06 yet.

Use of a MF towel by the headlamp area is the highest risk due to improper ESD shielding of the control module (a design flaw) and a electrical pathway in that area of the vehicle that travels from the front hood release mechnanism to the module itself. Symptoms manifest as "System Fault - Go To Workshop" displayed in the dash display and headlights/parking lights/interior dash lighting no longer function in response to use of the headlight switch but rather turn on and off seemingly randomly. Others have claimed the hood latch can also release spontaneously (although the saftey catch prevents this from being a catastrophic event should that be true).

So you may want to switch to 100% cotton towels around the headlamp area and on the hood.

You have been warned!

Regards,
Deanski

audiboy
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the warning. I doubt I`ll get my hands on a Porsche anytime soon though.

Joe's Detail
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the warning. I doubt I`ll get my hands on a Porsche anytime soon though.

lol...i was thinking the same thing

C. Charles Hahn
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Holy crap... what`s up with that? Since when would Porsche let a design flaw that critical go through to production?? Will they be offering a fix for this or what?

Bence
03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Yet another German car disappointment...

Mikeyc
03-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Wow! That is the craziest thing I`ve ever heard. I believe it though.

audiboy
03-23-2006, 05:35 PM

There is no such thing!

heffergm
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Hardly. Porsche`s, even without taking into consideration that they`re some of the best high performance cars out there, are also great daily drivers with a very good reliability record. Everyone gets things wrong once in a while.

JaredPointer
03-23-2006, 06:38 PM

Maybe that`s the way the cookie crumbles in Europe. I guess we might have pretty differing views of autos here in North America than in other parts of the world.

P.S. Not that I am a Porsche fan in any way.

Deanski
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
It seems that it`s got the attention of PCNA. No documented effect with the `06, but `05 seems more prone to the problem.

Good thing, as my `06 C2S finished production on 3/15 and I`m waiting for a boat. It`s black on black, yellow seatbelts, Aerocup Kit, PCCB`s, PSE, Short Shifter, Sport Chrono, Nav, Bose and more... It should arrive in April!:)

I`m trying to find out more as it develops with regard to the static discharge. Must be some big build-up I would think, and a user grounding themselves to something as they bring the towel close to the finish or headlight after having the towel in a property to obtain static.

Regards,
Deanski

C. Charles Hahn
03-23-2006, 09:54 PM
I`m trying to find out more as it develops with regard to the static discharge. Must be some big build-up I would think, and a user grounding themselves to something as they bring the towel close to the finish or headlight after having the towel in a property to obtain static.

Hmm... so how about just "no wearing shoes with rubber soles while detailing a 997" instead of "no MFs" :D