PDA

View Full Version : Megs 5 inch miocrofiber buffing pads...

Pages : [1] 2

wannafbody
08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I found these new Megs pads in the auto section at Walmart so my curiosity got the best of me and I bought 2. I tried them with Megs UC. I like the UC because it isn`t too abrasive but works. The microfiber pads seem to soak up lots of product. I could only work a small section and I`d have to apply more. The pad also gets matted quickly. That being said they seem pretty effective at removing swirls quickly. I`d still use a foam pad with a finishing polish, they aren`t one step pads based on my very limited usage.

Paul Sparks
08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
The Megs mf pads are great now the bugs seem to have been worked out of them. These pads perform at their best when clean. After each panel take a air gun and blow them off. If you don`t have air available a pad brush will do the job. When they are all matted down they need to be cleaned and fluffed back up to cut properly. I agree about using foam for finishing. IMO when trying to finish with a mf pad it leaves a little bit on the table that foam can rectify.After making a couple of passes with something like d300 then lightly spritz the pad w/water and do another pass. Saw this on a post by Kevin Brown and its like supercharging the operation.It works for me.

Leadfootluke
08-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Charlie Hahn was gracious enough to send me one to try out, I definitely like them better than the OPT pads at this time. The pad firmness, thickness, and backing are great. You will notice a distinct lack of cutting in a pad that is too "wet" or matted. I use Compressed Air and a MF pad brush to fluff the pads between each panel, sometimes during a panel. I will also press a MF towel against the pad and turn it on to remove some of the polish. The more you use the pads the easier they are to dial in.

Scottwax
08-25-2012, 08:36 PM
The Meguairs MF cutting pads have more cut than the Optimum MF cutting pads, slightly firmer foam backing, more aggressive microfiber. But on most paints you can finish with the Optimum MF cutting or polishing pads (difference is the firmness of the foam backing) due to the softer microfiber facing. IMO, its best to have all three on hand, they can handle a wide variety of paint conditions.

Still find that some really soft paints have to be finished out with foam.

imported_dfazekas
08-27-2012, 12:15 AM
How are you cleaning your MF pads?

Compressed air works best. Blow them out or brush them out after each section you work on.

Just try to keep the fibers standing up instead of letting them get matted down.

And then to clean them up, I just spray them down with some degreaser, agitate them a bit,

and rinse them out; then throw them in the wash. Again, compressed air works best for drying them.

imported_ww2717
08-27-2012, 12:24 AM
I guess that when I use the megs MF pads I change to a fresh one after doing each 2x2 sections. So I generally might go through 30 plus pads on a single car and more on a truck. I use the my pad washer a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

imported_RZJZA80
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
They do work very well, but how is everybody washing them? Throwing them in the washing machine as Megs suggested seems to warp them a bit and cause the foam to be softer for me.

Paul Sparks
08-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I still throw mine in the washing machine with a few other pads and or mf towels. Does not seem to have hurt their performance over the last year or so.

RaskyR1
08-27-2012, 10:53 AM
The Meguairs MF cutting pads have more cut than the Optimum MF cutting pads, slightly firmer foam backing, more aggressive microfiber. But on most paints you can finish with the Optimum MF cutting or polishing pads (difference is the firmness of the foam backing) due to the softer microfiber facing. IMO, its best to have all three on hand, they can handle a wide variety of paint conditions.

Still find that some really soft paints have to be finished out with foam.

I concur!

Hyper Polish and the Opt Finishing pads have worked very well for me on several jobs, mainly when I Opti-Coat. Maybe not quite the level of finish as foam, but still a good option for 1-step jobs or even some two stepper when you going for more correction then gloss.

RaskyR1
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
They do work very well, but how is everybody washing them? Throwing them in the washing machine as Megs suggested seems to warp them a bit and cause the foam to be softer for me.

I clean mine right after use by spraying with some APC and scrubbing in a bucket of water with the pad cleaning brush. At the end of the day I take them home and throw them in the washing machine and air dry on a rack.

IMO all pads soften up after the initial use/wash and all the MF pads and Surbuf warp a bit after use. I think a lot of the warping comes from peeling the pad off when it`s still hot...

Scottwax
08-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I spin the pads on a nylon bristle brush after each section, fluffs them up nicely.

imported_RZJZA80
08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I spin the pads on a nylon bristle brush after each section, fluffs them up nicely.

I do the same, I have an air compressor but I think either/or works about the same, maybe give the edge to the brush.

RaskyR1
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I do the same, I have an air compressor but I think either/or works about the same, maybe give the edge to the brush.

I do both. Mainly the brush as it`s faster/more convenient but I`ll hit it with air after a few sections too. Air does a better job of actually blowing the gunk out of the pad where The brush does a better job of fluffing the fibers back up. :)

IHA Mark
08-27-2012, 04:06 PM

This seems to be the most effective method.

Once in a while if they are really matted I will shoot some APC and grab a clean MF towel and spin my PC. cleans them up darn near perfect.

David Fermani
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Because my wife & kids are sensitive to chemicals, I never wash my pads. I alway just blast them with the powerwasher and this gets them perfectly clean. Whenever I wash them otherwise they just don`t come 100% clean. As soon as you start up the machine dust will fly out of them.

The key to MF pads(and any other pad for that matter) is keeping them. The more the better. Compressed air is awsome, but a pad conditioning brush or MF towel is ok too. Just keep them clean and it will dramatically prolong their working session and life span.

I`m surprised to see them sold at Walmart!!!???