PDA

View Full Version : Scratch in the black paint on windshield.

alkemyst
08-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Safelight replaced my windshield for the 3rd time in my M3 and finally got it sort of right, but goop was oozing all outside the A pillar (they said that was expected).

Anyway, I tried to go straight down with a razor blade to cut the excess off, but in a few places it must have cut through the black paint/primer on the back of the windshield and is visible on the outside. I tried putting black paint at the spot but it didn`t seem to fix it.

Anyone run into this? I will probably just have BMW re-do it all next year (paying off a surgery I had right now).

Thanks.

FAQ
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
That blows. I really get a kick out of replacing two things on my cars; Tires and windshields. A speckled windshield looks awful and is hard to see through. They are not that expensive, parts and labor. I found those “visit your house guys” not worth the trouble. They never should have left adhesive ooze like you describe. Unfortunately you have to live with it. In the future, find a guy that only does windshields for a living. If you decide to replace consider an Indy and buy the glass not from BMW but from the OE supplier - PPG or Pilkington, for instance. Expect to pay ~$500, P and L

Just for giggles I would loudly complain to Safelight upper management and tell them what the technician told you – ooze is OK. This then resulted in you attempting to correct. And by the way if installed correctly you never should have had to resort to a razor blade to fix their sloppy work. Get physical. Competition is tough. This is a BMW M, these are not inexpensive cars.

For a cosmetic fix (I know this sounds mic mouse) try a Sharpie.

Faq.

alkemyst
08-21-2012, 05:58 PM
That blows. I really get a kick out of replacing two things on my cars; Tires and windshields. A speckled windshield looks awful and is hard to see through. They are not that expensive, parts and labor. I found those “visit your house guys” not worth the trouble. They never should have left adhesive ooze like you describe. Unfortunately you have to live with it. In the future, find a guy that only does windshields for a living. If you decide to replace consider an Indy and buy the glass not from BMW but from the OE supplier - PPG or Pilkington, for instance. Expect to pay ~$500, P and L

Just for giggles I would loudly complain to Safelight upper management and tell them what the technician told you – ooze is OK. This then resulted in you attempting to correct. And by the way if installed correctly you never should have had to resort to a razor blade to fix their sloppy work. Get physical. Competition is tough. This is a BMW M, these are not inexpensive cars.

For a cosmetic fix (I know this sounds mic mouse) try a Sharpie.

Faq.

The sharpie/paint route did cover some of it...however these `lines` I can`t see from behind the glass and the sharpie/paint don`t seem to be affecting them. I will try and get some pics up soon, but it is pouring tonight.

I was stuck with who my insurance allows and the only shop I knew on their list was Safelite. My local BMW indy shop never had a problem with their installs, either they were lucky or I wasn`t.