PDA

View Full Version : What`s next

White_Falcon
08-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Hello

Thanks to some great reads here, and some advise, my 2004 Toyota daily driver looks amazing. This was my first venture into the world of paint correction. I did a bit of wet sanding using 2500 on some real biffed areas. I used m105/m205 over the entire car (2 days work) with a pc, and then followed up with Duragloss 105, and finally Duragloss Aquawax, both by hand. I used Poorboy`s tire gel, back to black on the trim pieces, detailer`s Pride carpet and upholstery cleaner, and finally turtle wax Ice ( I actually like the stuff) on the dash.

So, what`s next? What is involved in keeping it looking it`s shiny beauty from this point on? The maintenance mode, if you will.

Accumulator
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
White_Falcon- What`s next is the most important part of all detailing...learning how to wash without instilling new marring. Different opinions abound on how to pull it off.

Simple version- don`t press dirt against the paint and then move said dirt under pressure.

Alexshimshimhae
08-21-2012, 01:03 PM
yea, at this point it really comes down to wash technique--like the other things--each person will tell you different things and swear their method is better...*shrugs* part of the fun in detailing is being able to play around with it to see what works for you--but as long as you observe general rules of thumb you`ll be ok (pretty much try to minimize contact between paint and particles especially dragging)

White_Falcon
08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Got it.

It was my first attempt. It`s not a perfect job, but I was doing this on my daily driver more as a learning experience and I`m pretty happy with it. Some water "spots" remain on the roof (more like water pits), but I got rid of the cobwebs and the car gleams! I now carry in my trunk items to do quick sp0t fixes, like bug removal spray and multiple microfiber clothes (in a sealed bag to avoid contamination).

I`ll be leerking for a while, taking in others knowledge. I`m enjoying the new hobby.

imported_ErnDog
08-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Thats awesome, I also picked up A few bottle of ICE Interior stuff at my local Oreillys Auto Parts on the clearance bin for $1..Good stuff, does a good job cleaning and Protecting AIO step

White_Falcon
08-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Ice interior is pretty good stuff. I like the smell. I like the fact that it`s not loaded with oils that collect dust (calling Armour All). I like the low-luster shine. I like the ease of use. I see Advance Auto has a $3 off sale going on, so time to stock up.