PDA

View Full Version : What product would you use... if this can be fixed?

rstransky
08-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Purchased a used car - It has a few of these hazy marks on it. It looks like someone had clear coat then buffed a little too hard on it. If the haze can be covered/taken off/etc. what product would you use? How would you do it? Am I just screwed? :)http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/rachelstransky/100MEDIAIMAG31281.jpg

Alexshimshimhae
08-17-2012, 11:19 PM
any chance at a better photo?

rstransky
08-17-2012, 11:23 PM
will try to get one tomorrow. the hazy area is located southwest below the glare from the flash... directly in the middle of the haze is a spot where they put clear coat on.

rstransky
08-17-2012, 11:29 PM
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/rachelstransky/100MEDIAIMAG3127.jpg

forgot i had this picture... maybe can get a better idea of the haziness.

Accumulator
08-18-2012, 01:31 PM
rstransky- As TOGWT suggested in the other thread, that might be compromised paint from where somebody messed up. If that`s the case you gotta get it repainted.

Ron Ketcham
08-18-2012, 02:02 PM
YUP! Sure looks like it has had the clear pounded, refinish time.

Grumpy

rstransky
08-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Figures. Okay is there anything that can conceal it then, or atleast make it not as noticeable?

Paul Sparks
08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Once clear coat begins to fail, (seperate or lift from the base coat ) there is no reversal and little if anything can be done to dress or hide it IMO.

Accumulator
08-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Right. Small areas of cc failure are one thing (I`ve been living with them on the beater Audi since back when it was still with its original owner), but something like this case simply calls for refinishing. Think of it as an additional cost of acquiring the vehicle..there`s always something with any used car.

imported_Bence
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Well, IMO the pics are still poor, so a proper evaluation can`t be done.

It can be CC failure, but also sanding/brillo padding which wasn`t properly buffed. Good quality macro photos would help immensely, as we know how to watch the pics, what to focus on with hazing.

Another thing: if you drop water on to the haze, does the haze become clear or is there still some visible damage on the surface of the paint? If it clears up there is a chance that it is repairable. Unfortunately, when the CC starts to fail, it looks still good with water on it, so the water test is not a reliable measure, but it can give a hint of what can be done.

CC failure "doesn`t look right" initially, then the surface becomes duller, then develops tiny cracks (check this thread, as the pics are excellent here! Full Detail: Perodua Kelisa | Wet Shine – Malaysia`s Premier Auto Detailing Blog, Reviews, Tests, Details, Articles, Events (http://wetshine.net/2012/01/11/full-detail-perodua-kelisa/)), then the surface becomes chalky, and the CC falls off. Developing CC failure can be felt with your fingernails as slight roughness, but improper sanding feels smooth(er).

imported_RZJZA80
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I say polish it by hand with a finishing polish and look for paint transfer. Either way, maybe a light polish is all it needs, but it`s hard to tell if it`s really CC failure.

imported_fishbonezken
08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks Bence for linking my post in this thread.

As for the problem at hand, try using a mild abrasive polish by hand and lightly rub it in to see if it will pull out any red paint. If it does or if the hazing does not go away, then the clear has been compromised and a repaint is needed.

If it glosses back up, then it`s just damage on the clearcoat and a good buffing should be able to restore the colour and gloss.

rstransky
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
sorry for my delays in posting.. well, it passed the water test. when water is on it it looks good as new. it also seems to brighten up with some cheapie turtle wax. anyway, since there is a chance it can be repaired, can someone please walk me through what product to use and how to go about repairing it? i want to make sure i`m doing this right and not do whatever the heck the owner before me did haha. thanks in advance..

Accumulator
08-28-2012, 11:15 AM
.... if you drop water on to the haze, does the haze become clear or is there still some visible damage on the surface of the paint? If it clears up there is a chance that it is repairable. Unfortunately, when the CC starts to fail, it looks still good with water on it, so the water test is not a reliable measure...

I hate to be all pessimistic here, but, well....time will tell.

rstransky- You need to get some good polish that`ll work OK by hand (most do). Just follow the directions, applying with either a foam "waxing pad" or with a MF towel (if you need to get more aggressive you can start with a cotton towel, but that won`t finish very well).

Work the polish until it`s almost dry, buff off with the MF. Inspect. Repeat as needed.

Some would say to spray the area with IPA (Rubbing Alcohol) to remove any polishing oils that might conceal minor issues.

If you get any red paint on the polish applicator, that indicates that the clearcoat is compromised (the red will be "bare" basecoat) and in that case you need to get it repainted.

Even if you don`t hit red paint, you don`t want to overthin the clearcoat as it will become very UV sensitive and prone to failure.

When you`re finished polishing, apply your wax and keep an eye on the area in question.

imported_Bence
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
...Thanks Bence for linking my post in this thread...

You`re welcome! The work and the documentation is absolutely top notch, so what could I do? :D

rstransky, listen to the people above and do the hand polishing. Then tell us your experience.