PDA

View Full Version : Please look - How to fix this??

rstransky
08-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Purchased a used car.. It has a few marks here and there that look like someone used some clear coat on scratches and buffed a little too hard. It might be hazing? What are the options on how to fix this? There are probably 4 or 5 of these little hazy marks on the car. Thanks in advance!

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/rachelstransky/100MEDIAIMAG31281.jpg

Scottwax
08-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Have you tried polishing it?

jeffny09
08-18-2012, 04:37 AM
looks like u can use megs 205 with a white pad. that should do the trick

togwt
08-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Does this descibe what you`re seeing?

Basically strikethrough is caused when kinetic energy (friction heat) has compromised the clear coat and exposed the base coat. Paint often looks a slightly lighter colour; it’s usually concentrated on a small area or ‘spot ‘

You will also be able to see a non-glossy patch (base coat) where the clear has been removed with the edges of the remaining clear coat being visible; you will need to apply base and clear paint or the strikethrough will remain visible. Since the clear coat contains the UV inhibitors, the colour coat is now exposed and will be subjected to photo degradation (fading)

rstransky
08-18-2012, 11:50 AM
pretty much... yes! the area i am talking about is southwest of the glare. that hazy/dull area surrounded by the clear coat or whatever they used in the center.

D_Nyholm
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Looks to me either like clearcoat failure or someone buffer through the paint. If it is just plain oxidation, a polish like 105 or 205 should remove it.

Take a mf towel with a little bit of polish on it and rub the spot lightly. If red comes off on the mf, then you are through the clear and rubbing in base coat. If that is the case, you cannot fix it without repainting. I wouldn`t mess with the area at all if it is that as you will just be removing even more of the clearcoat.