PDA

View Full Version : Theory craft time!

Alexshimshimhae
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
So my Gf and my brother both bought new cars:

Black Hyundai Elantra

White Lexus IS

Now for whatever reason ;) they`ve entrusted me to get it opti-coated.

My question to you wise gentlemen. Is what pad/polish combo/prep would you suggest?

I`ve realized that I could go with a new set of pads--sadly I bought the Meg`s MF kit a while back but the backing plate wouldn`t fit the Flex and I have yet to get any kind of conversion kit...

The Lexus is white so I`m not as concerned about looks but the elantra has already started presenting with swirls (it`s only been what...2 weeks?)

I have the Valuguard ABC decontamination system coming this week.

I have Po85rd, M205, Optimum hyper polish

for obvious reasons I`m not interested in compounding or anything crazy as it is new.

Help a brother out!

togwt
08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Chicken - Egg (There is no such thing as a `one size fits all` polish pad combination (its a vendors myth)

What paint surface problems do the vehicles have?

Conduct a `Test panel process` on each vehicle to select a suitable polish / pad combination

Alexshimshimhae
08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Well I haven`t seen the lexus since my brother picked it up--but I doubt I`ll be doing much if any correction--as we all know it`s near impossible to see anything on white paint anyways so I feel like i`d be wasting my time--figure for that I just decontaminate the paint and apply the oc.

For the hyundai, there`s a very small scratch that I`m sure I can white pad with po85rd with and finish with LC black--but I haven`t tested anything yet( just assuming this paint will be retarded soft) since it`s black I`m seeing the micromarring and swirls from what is likely from the dealership "detail". I`m debating on if i want to go ahead and try to burnish at all but I doubt it will be worth the effort--but I`d like the paint looking as perfect as possible before putting the oc down (being a black car and all) Something tells me that I might be able to get away with very minimal in terms of pad choices--but I don`t know the latest developments pad/product combo wise in the last year and change--hoping to get some insight in time for the weekend so i can order

Accumulator
08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Alexshimshimhae- Eh, I don`t think there have been any real changes in pad tech relevent to what you`ll be doing. And no, I wouldn`t bother "burnishing" in this case.

But I wouldn`t assume you can get away without correction on white or that "new cars" won`t need somewhat aggressive correction.

Never having worked on either of those marques, I have no idea which pad/product combos will be appropriate :nixweiss

Alexshimshimhae
08-13-2012, 02:58 PM
ahh my favorite wise sage =] (how goes it good sir)

hehe yea I was actually quite surprised when I saw the car when I visited this weekend--for a brand spanking new car there were a lot of swirls...I didn`t get a good look but in some spots it almost looked buffer/hack induced....

In my head, I`m starting to lean towards say white with po53rd finished with black pad or maybe opt hyper polish-po85rd? Problem is I think my pads are just about shot--so debating on maybe ordering a new set of something new? or is that the buying itch getting to me xD

Accumulator
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Alexshimshimhae- Eh, I can see getting some fresh pads, sorta a sooner-or-later kind of thing by the sound of it. No idea what to recommend though as I haven`t bought any new pads for years other than the MF cutting disks.

No suprise at all that a brand new car has been hacked up, almost every one I`ve ever seen sure was! That`s why you might have to get more aggressive than you`d expect.

Alexshimshimhae
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I`m actually really worried that I might be busting out the m105--but I mean my money is on the fact (well hopes) that the clear should be soft enough to squeak by with a polish?

As always I`m stuck on what pads to buy

Edit:

ok so I bought:

1 ht cyan

1 light orange cutting (LC)

and 2 white polishing pads

Though I stuck with what (I THINK) worked for me..something about my pad choices isn`t sitting right with me for some reason.. =/

Alexshimshimhae
08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Times like these I wish I had more time & Money to test out the whole gamut to see what I like x[

Accumulator
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
ok so I bought:

1 ht cyan

1 light orange cutting (LC)

and 2 white polishing pads

...something about my pad choices isn`t sitting right with me for some reason.. =/

What`d be worrying me is the quantity; I`d want a lot more than one, or even two, of each type.

Alexshimshimhae
08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I currently have 2 orange and i think another ht cyan that are still usable as well as 1 or 2 black ones

tbh I would have preferred to have more but funds are a bit tight lately so I`m actually a bit concerned...thinking worst case scenario i`ll have to go panel by panel which will defnitely be a huge pita....