PDA

View Full Version : old introductory post...

bcwyatt26
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Hey, I have been registered on here for a few years, from when I got a new car in `08. I am going to get more into detailing so I think I will be spending more time on here, trying to learn more.

I have always tried to keep my car really clean, but until recently it was so frustrating to work on it. My first car was one I bought from my parents, and I lived on a dirt road and didn`t park in a garage. I washed the car every week, but after an hour it was covered in dust. I learned a lot from trial and error about different products and stuff (tried so many towels to try to avoid lint, lots of different washes/waxes until I pretty much settled on Meguiar`s as the best I could find at Target, different stuff) but that car never could be kept nice because of where I lived.

So I got a new car a few years ago and was happy that I could start with brand new paint and interior and keep it that way, without having to correct a bunch of damage, and I`ve done a pretty good job. I wash it regularly, I have clay-bar`d it a few times, haven`t touched it with a bath towel, just basic stuff really but a big difference from when I was 16 with my first car that was beat up and dusty all the time.

So I basically feel like I do as much as is possible with regular products (I like Meguir`s still, seems to work better than other shelf products, and I love the way it smells...) and by hand. I am considering getting more professional stuff, maybe even a polisher, maybe doing different layers of was/polish/sealant (I don`t know what each of those means for sure...) but I am seriously overwhelmed with the info on this site. I am going to try to work through it and figure out what I want to do. My neighbor details on the side, and works at a good body shop, so I thought about paying him to detail my car and doing it with him, to learn more. Think that is a good idea?

Anway, I`m looking to make another step up from where I am. I don`t have plans (not right now) of making money on it, I just want my car to be super pretty. I think it is beautiful, but if I can make it even nicer with better products and a polisher, I want to do it. So that is where I`m at, hope to learn a lot more on the site! Thanks for any advice!

Brad B
08-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Do it yourself! What you learn will last a lifetime! Post some very specific questions on the proper forum sections and you will get lots of feedback.