PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed- 14 year old white Toyota SUV

Pages : [1] 2

PDoyle
08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Looking to polish and wax a real nice white color 1996 Toyota Landcruiser.

I`m using collinite 885 fleetwax.

What polish do you guys recommend before waxing?

I`ll be doing it by hand.

Thanks for any help.

imported_ErnDog
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I would recommend a large bag of Ice and a Ice pack. :chuckle: haha But In all seriousness I have tried HD Uno With good results, and for OTC stuff the Turtle Wax Swirl Remover or Meguiars Ultimate Compound worked good for me. It will lightly correct with a lot of elbow grease and fill in a bit to make it shine up a bit. They do however tend to work better with a machine. Best of luck on that project, lord knows I have done my fair share by hand lol

PDoyle
08-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Hmm, what would work best by hand?

Probably Meguiars compound, then the paste wax?

imported_detail1
08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
If there are swirls in the paint, it is going to be difficult to remove them by hand. It`s not impossible but u will be sweating.

I dont know what your budget is, but in my opinion, there is no comparison between hand polishing vs machine polishing.

U will not get the same results.

imported_ErnDog
08-10-2012, 07:45 PM
If there are swirls in the paint, it is going to be difficult to remove them by hand. It`s not impossible but u will be sweating.

I dont know what your budget is, but in my opinion, there is no comparison between hand polishing vs machine polishing.

U will not get the same results.

Lol yea thats why I recommended the Ice pack first. No doubt I agree that machine is the way to go.

and Yes I would Use the Meg`s Ultimate Compound and then toss a coat of Paste/Liquid/Spray wax whatever your Preferred choice.

PDoyle
08-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I know I know. I need a buffer.

Alexshimshimhae
08-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I would recommend a large bag of Ice and a Ice pack. :chuckle:

yea he said it haha. Elbow grease isn`t the word. Quite honestly, if you`re doing this by hand, I would prefer to pick something with more fillers as from my standpoint though I would like some correction too, I think covering will help make up the difference (and hopefully leave me less frustrated) I *THINK* meg`s is somewhat up that ally though I`m sure the more seasoned guys would know better..

PDoyle
08-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I have some Meg`s deep crystal system polish I was looking to use before the 885 paste wax.

Or should I use the compound, then wax?

Alexshimshimhae
08-14-2012, 10:45 AM
IF you compound you will still likely want to follow up with a polish ...I mean if they`re just light swirls i don`t see the need to compound especially if you`re going to do it by hand (you`ll be there forever)

I say see how the polish works for you--and IIRC, the paste wax has some fillers so it should help cover up the remainder

PDoyle
08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Yes, forever.

The truck`s paint is in real good shape. Think I`ll 2 step it. Polish and wax.

I used just the wax on a Black TJ a month ago and it makes a real real good impression.

Alexshimshimhae
08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
i mean honestly i might even forgo the polish too only because it`s white--i`d prolly use a fine clay and try my best to just keep it contaminant free and protect with a good wax/coating etc...

PDoyle
08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Thinking that myself. How much whiter can it get. So I`ll just wax it. Thanks for the help/ saving my arm.

Alexshimshimhae
08-14-2012, 11:10 AM
yea, especially if your`e doing it by hand--i would maybe spot polish at best...

Accumulator
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I have some Meg`s deep crystal system polish I was looking to use before the 885 paste wax.

Or should I use the compound, then wax?

Even on white (I have a white car) I would *definitely* follow the Meg`s Compound with a polish. NO question. And not the Deep Crystal Step#2 Polish, which isn`t really a "polish" in the sense we`re talking about (it`s a nonabrasive glaze, what Meguiar`s calls a "pure polish").

I`d reserve that DC Polish for use on fresh repaints.

Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound, followed by Ultimate Polish, topped with the Collinite (if you want to go the Meguiar`s route).

Legacy
08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Try polishing a small section and look at your pad. I`m pretty sure you are going to see white paint on your applicator. I believe you have single stage paint.