PDA

View Full Version : Question to Detailers with a business - washing hot wheels

shadow85
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I always wondered, is it ok to wash wheels when they are still hot from driving? For the pro`s out there who have there own business, how do you deal with customers who just arrive to your shop after a decent drive, where the wheels are still hot?

RaskyR1
08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I always wondered, is it ok to wash wheels when they are still hot from driving? For the pro`s out there who have there own business, how do you deal with customers who just arrive to your shop after a decent drive, where the wheels are still hot?

I allow them to cool before cleaning. I simply work on something else until they have cooled off enough.

Dan
08-09-2012, 04:37 PM
The wheels aren`t nearly as big of a problem as are hot brakes.

Nth Degree
08-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Don`t do it. Not only can you damage the wheels with the cleaner but you can warp the brakes by spraying them with cool water.

Scottwax
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
That`s one of the nice things about being mobile, usually the car has been sitting for a while by the time I get there. If the wheels are hot, I wait until they cool.

DaGonz
08-10-2012, 06:11 AM
When I bring a client`s car to my house to detail, I spend the first 30 to 45 minutes setting up my pressure washer and foam cannon, filling the buckets with car wash solution and laying out all the products and pads I will be using. By that time, the wheels have cooled enough to safely clean them.

Memphis
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I always do door jams first, then raise the hood so the engine bay can cool down, then clean the interior, then do wheels, then engine bay, then wash.

I do the door jams before the interior because I don`t want the dirt and water from the door jams getting into the interior after I`ve cleaned it. I always try to do the hardest parts/parts I like least first, so I can get them out of the way, so that`s why my work flow is set up this way. It also allows time for the engine and wheels to cool down.