PDA

View Full Version : beginning to dislike opti-coat

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Guitarist302008
08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
The durability of this stuff is obviously amazing, it`s easy to apply and it has protected my cheap subaru paint from a lot of chips, sandblasting, etc. HOWEVER, the water spots are becoming a real issue for me now. It`s not those little ones, but those that are deeper down into the paint. I don`t like the idea of going back to having the polish and coat more often... but I am willing to do so if I can`t do something about this. This is hard city water too, so it`s not like a QD or white vinegar will take them out.

Does anyone know if Cquartz or the new Hardbody does better in this area?

umi000
08-08-2012, 06:57 AM
No idea about Cquartz or Hard Body, but I remember reading somewhere that they`ve had some success using a chemical (non-abrasive) cleaner to remove waterspots on Opti-Coat - might be worth a go before you polish it all off?

David Fermani
08-08-2012, 07:11 AM
I wouldn`t try using anything abrasive under you`ve chemically tried to remove the water spots 1st. Optimum makes a dedicated Water Spot Remover that can be used on their coating. I`d try it IIWU.

Dan
08-08-2012, 07:26 AM
I haven`t had many issues with them staying on if you get to them in time. Vinegar works just fine for me, the white Jetta I did got hit with sprinklers pretty hard plus a few days in the sun and vinegar did the trick. I also find Mother`s liquid carnauba cleaner wax to be an amazing water spot remover, dunno why, but it works better than anything else I`ve tried. I did buy Danase`s water spot remover and still have the full bottle, haven`t had to resort to it just yet.

imported_RZJZA80
08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Well that is making me rethink the whole OC thing. I mean, if it still get`s water spots that easily, then what`s the point? Especially if you have to polish it off to fix it then reapply.

Dan
08-08-2012, 10:24 AM
IMO it doesn`t get water spots any easier than regular paint, in fact, it seems easier to get the spots off.

The only thing that seems to really repel water spots is very freshly applied carnuaba, we`re talking days, not weeks.

RaskyR1
08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
I really don`t see how Opti-Coat is to blame for the water spots? All products will be subject to spotting if you leave hard water sitting on the paint...

FWIW I had my car nailed by a sprinkler on a 90+ degree sunny day. I was at a friends and had no idea the neighbors sprinkler system had gone off until I came out that night. It was a week before I could get to dealing with them and I thought for sure I`d have to polish after seeing how bad they were when I finished washing it. For kicks I gave Chemical Guys Water Spot remover a try and they come right out! :xyxthumbs

Driven Auto Detail
08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I`ve had OG on my truck for about a year now and have not had any issues with water spots. The drought is partly to thank ( :) ), but I don`t see how you can blame OG/OC for water spots.

imported_RZJZA80
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I`m not "blaming" OC for the water spots obviously, I`m saying that it makes me less likely to use it if water spots are just as likely to happen than with just a normal sealant/wax, especially since if it`s etched, you have to polish it off to remove the spots and and start over.

imported_Erik Mejia
08-08-2012, 12:31 PM
The durability of this stuff is obviously amazing, it`s easy to apply and it has protected my cheap subaru paint from a lot of chips, sandblasting, etc. HOWEVER, the water spots are becoming a real issue for me now. It`s not those little ones, but those that are deeper down into the paint. I don`t like the idea of going back to having the polish and coat more often... but I am willing to do so if I can`t do something about this. This is hard city water too, so it`s not like a QD or white vinegar will take them out.

Does anyone know if Cquartz or the new Hardbody does better in this area?

Try washing your car with ONR. It`s built in water softeners will really help with your city`s hard water problem. Also try washing early or later in the day when its cooler.

Last option would be a water softening system

Guitarist302008
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
A question for scottwax... or anyone that has done it... I see the OCW mentioned as a topper for OC, what about a collinite 915? Is the OCW somehow formulated to work better over OC or is it just the line? It was suggested to me by optimum to apply OS over OC and that it would last about a months time.... so ... which is it? lol

Guitarist302008
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I`ve had OG on my truck for about a year now and have not had any issues with water spots. The drought is partly to thank ( :) ), but I don`t see how you can blame OG/OC for water spots.

It`s been stated many times that OC isn`t the best for repelling water spots a lot on here and by others i`ve talked to as well.

Guitarist302008
08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Try washing your car with ONR. It`s built in water softeners will really help with your city`s hard water problem. Also try washing early or later in the day when its cooler.

Last option would be a water softening system

I have one of those hose water softening systems... it helps quite a bit, but even then if the water sits there to long they show up. Of course I use a drying towel as well as a blower on the car right after washing. I have ONR here... I just haven`t used it yet. I don`t really know why though. I had just bought some pretty good car wash and such, so I sort of wanted to use that up first. Speaking of which... has anyone tried duragloss car wash? It claims that it helps with water spotting.

Dan
08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Anything you put on top of OC will wash off when it rains.

Guitarist302008
08-08-2012, 01:05 PM
you mean OC?