PDA

View Full Version : 3" DA Polisher a Good Idea??

melissa809
08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
So, I am biting the bullet and getting over my fear of using power tools on my car`s finish!!!! (Though I use power tools in my profession..go figure!!!)

Anyways, I`m looking at the Griot`s Garage 6" polisher....but was wondering if buying the 3" polisher would make my life much easier when detailing my car.

Also, I have SO many detailing products...and though the woman in me wants to BUY BUY BUY more...i.e. they have the CUTEST Griot`s Garage polisher kits....I don`t need most of the products they have (I think).

Anyways...I pm`ed a very knowledgeable person here, but I am getting antsy!!!...lol..

So, I have my car 4 months...bought it new. I planned on using P21S to strip the wax I already put on the car..wash it...clay it...

And then to polish the car I have Meguiar`s clear coat safe polishing compound...I was originally going to use this stuff by hand..but will this suffice with the Griot`s polisher??

After that, I planned on using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze....

And the bottle says to apply by hand using back and forth motion...so I can NOT use this with the DA polisher???

And then I plan on finishing the car off with Collinite wax.

So...to sum it up:

Is the 3" polisher a good idea???

Can I use the meguiar`s polishing compound with the Griot`s DA polisher?

And..is the Meguiar`s polishing compound too aggressive for my situation???

Can I apply 3M Imperial Hand Glaze with a machine or is it by hand, ONLY??

Thanks in advance

Melissa

pwaug
08-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Detailers Domian one of our sponsors here has a great GG6 kit that includes a 5" backing plate and mix and match selection of 10 5.5"pads (which isn`t too many pads). So you don`t get allot of product you don`t need or want. I just purchased a 3.5" backing plate for my GG for use with 4" pads and find it fine for getting into the small bits on my cars. I wouldn`t use that Compound with a machine as it is for hand application only and if you polish your paint you shouldn`t really need a glaze. If your car isn`t in bad shape you may only need something like HD Polish for any correction--it is very easy to work with, no dusting, long working time, no heavy oils to remove, very forgiving. Then go right to your LSP of choice--HD POXY is a hybrid wax/sealant that has a great look on dark colors and adds a nice richness to light colors. Hope this helps.

melissa809
08-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! Definitely less confused, now!!...and you saved me a few bucks, too...lol