PDA

View Full Version : Help: 1997 Black MB- Attacking RIDS & Scratches with FLEX DA----Do I need a Rotary?

imported_detail1
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I was helping a friend/co-worker ( substitute teacher) detail his wife`s Black MB E420 today. A month ago, we spent a week fixing some rust areas on the lower doors with bondo and the car turned out pretty good.

Today, we attacked the hood. It was filled with swirls and RIDS from years of using rough brushes at do it yourself car washes.

I have FLEX Dual Action Buffer and I think it might be time I invest in a Rotary.

My plan of action today was: Menzerna Power Gloss on Yellow X 2

Megs 105 on Yellow X 1

Menzerna Power Gloss on Orange X 1

Menzerna PO 203 on White X 1

Glazed with RMG

LSP: Collinte 915

The hood came out 100 times better than it was.

There were several key scratches that got better but were still visible. Most of them could not be felt by rubbing across them.

After all the polishing, I could still see some RIDS on a much smaller scale but they were still there and the paint was not 100 % clear and defective free.

Is it time to purchase a Rotary?

Thanks

imported_RZJZA80
08-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Sure, a rotary will cut quicker, but is it worth it to remove that much clear to make it in show car condition when it seems to be a daily driver? It`s not worth it, some defects you are better off living with.

VR8
08-06-2012, 04:09 PM
You`ll surely get both opinions on this question ... mine is to stick with the Flex. You won`t get any better of a finish with the rotary in my opinion, and it`s very likely that you`ll do more damage. Is the rotary quicker? Only if you become VERY profficient with it. The average Joe will do better, and just as quick, with the Flex.

And as RZJZA said, if this is a daily driver (and how old? `97?), it`s best to live with some slight defects.