PDA

View Full Version : Starting off my 2013 Abarth WHITE paint on the right foot? -Product List.

deathshead
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Howdy!, My Name is Jason, I`m new here, great site and I have learned ALOT just lurking. I was just wondering about your thoughts on my plan?

My 2013 White Abarth is currently on order, After owning over 100 cars, This is my first (like on the price is right, A BRAND NEW CAR!, yay 1 tick off the bucket list.. )

I love white! its so forgiving.

I want to get the paint off to a good start as I plan on keeping the car a long time.

Since the car is on order im trying to amass all my products to start off on the right foot.

The Car will be my all year around Daily Driver - Even though hard North Eastern PA winters.

The car will also be a 24/7 outside vehicle, so I need the tuffest stuff i cant get.,

So Far once the car arrives I`m planning the following regiment.

(Im trying to stay with AFFORDABLE products here!) Oh, And I also do not have the luxury of a machine!, fml.. all by hand.

#1. Wash

#2. spray down the whole car down with Iron-X - (White paint is notorious for Rail dust/fallout. I have been told this will remove it) Good choice? its pricey!

#3 Clay bar. (i have a megs kit)

#4 Duragloss 601 Apparently this has great cleaning ability.

#5 Duragloss 105 - I have heard nothing but great things about this product, and durability I have read is as good as the $40.00 a bottle stuff.

#6 Collinite 845

should this get me through winter? Im looking for that laminated candy-plastic look, on white, will this combo do it?

Im hoping the paint is good enough to get me through the winter, and I can then study correction and look into machines, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

Jason

pwaug
08-05-2012, 07:11 AM
DG 601 has no cleaning ability--it`s just a bonding agent. That being said the 601/105 combo would have a great look on white and it is extremely durable. But, if I had a daily driver that sat outside 24/7 and didn`t have a DA, I`d just Opticoat it when it was new. Also, don`t let the dealer touch the car when it arrives--tell them you want to be present when they remove the protective plastic. Store - Opti Coat 2.0 (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?app=nexus&module=payments&section=store&do=item&id=67)

EDIT: If you do want to stick with DG products rather than a permanent coating (Opti-Coat) you can mix the 601 at 1 part with 4 parts 105 (it`s now even supported by DG on their website)--this saves a step and allows you to do a second coat or a coat of Aquawax in 2 hours. If you top the 105 with any "wax" then you eliminate the possibility of adding a second coat of 105 whenever you want (or when the weather permits) without stripping the remaining 845 off the finish. You could do a coat of 601/105, then a coat of Aquawax in 2 hours and then maintain with Aquawax every 3 or 4 weeks.

togwt
08-05-2012, 08:17 AM
+1 Opti-Coat

See also “Decontamination and Protection of New Vehicles” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141863-decontamination-protection-new-vehicles.html

2005GTPinMD
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
I would opticoat and use spray wax to maintain.

Accumulator
08-05-2012, 11:48 AM
deathshead- Welcome to Autopia! Congrats on the new Abarth!

I`d do the decontamination a little differently; I`d use the AutoInt/ValuGard "ABC" system. Shouldn`t need to clay after that either.

Then I myself would either OptiCoat it or use some AIO topped with FK1000P.

Whatever you use, I sure wouldn`t bother with the 845; just use a good sealant or coating and be done with it.

And yeah, be sure the dealer *DOES NOT* touch it in the sense of cosmetic preparation. Have it in writing and be prepared to refuse the car if they do it anyway (BTDT, glad I stuck to my guns and didn`t take a car that had been, uhm....molested).

pwaug
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I`d use the AutoInt/ValuGard "ABC" system.

Accumulator--The ValuGard system is highly recommended by many here, but only comes in a kit to do 10-15 cars if I remember correctly. This makes it impractical for those of us who have one or two cars to maintain. Is there anything else out there we could use that is perhaps "almost" as effective??

Accumulator
08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Accumulator--The ValuGard system is highly recommended by many here, but only comes in a kit to do 10-15 cars if I remember correctly. This makes it impractical for those of us who have one or two cars to maintain. Is there anything else out there we could use that is perhaps "almost" as effective??

Eh, I`m just *such* a fan-boy for the "ABC" that I can`t really recommend anything else.

I`ve done OK with the FinishKare 1119 (replaces "A"), and others like various "Iron" products (those would replace "B", and FinishKare makes one in a smallish bottle), and OK.."C" is just a ph-neutral shampoo, but I`d still just buy the "ABC" kit.

Yeah, more product than you need, but it`s not like it ever goes bad. For ~$55 I`d just get it, but I guess it`s easy for me to spend your money :o

And I dunno about it doing "10-15" cars :think: I`m not a Pro, and I don`t use it all that often, but I never feel like I have an excessive amount of it on-hand.

deathshead
08-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!.

Is topping the dg 105 with Collinite 845 a bad idea? (i already have the 845 and DG 601-1-6 products on the way.)

nonwelder
08-05-2012, 06:04 PM
It`s not a bad idea at all. I did 501/105/845 on my white car. Stunning. Maintain with Aquawax. Easy, cheap, and looks great.