PDA

View Full Version : Finally back into detailing! Need Help

Djulin
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone.

Basically, I`ve been out of the detailing world for about 3 years. I moved to Chicago and sold all the cars. :(

But now I`m moving somewhere where I can get a car and start detailing again! I just ordered a Black 2013 Mustang GT Coupe. I know, I shouldn`t have gotten black but I`m up for the challenge. The car will be my summer car and will be garaged during the winter. I`ll be picking it up at the end of August and I`m starting to collect my detailing arsenal. The car will be untouched by the dealer with the plastic guard still on the car so I`m trying to put together a process for cleaning and protecting a new car. Below are some of the products I was thinking and the process. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think. I`m up for any changes in process or switching products. Thanks!

WASH

Foam Cannon

Power Washer

Optimum Car Wash or Chemical Guys Citrus Wash

Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge

3 Bucket System w/ 3 Grit Guards

DECONTAMINATE

CarPro Iron X Trigger Spray

CLAY

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay

POLISH (Only if needed)

Menzerna Super Finish (SF 4500) PO85RD

Grey LC Pad or Black LC Pad

SEALANT

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or Menzerna Power Lock

WAX

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Paste Wax

INTERIOR

Poorboy’s World Natural Look Dressing

303 High Tech Fabric Guard

ENGINE

Optimum No Rinse Wash

303 Aerospace Protectant

pwaug
08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Just bought my wife a black Golf so as she says it will keep me busy!! You might want to take a look at the Carpro Merino Wool Wash Mit -- very long soft fibers and a mesh hand pocket that allows you to lightly glide the fibers over the paint. Autoality https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/home.asp on Babcock Blvd carries them as well as a full store dedicated to detailing. They carry the full Optimum line also--the Optimum Leather Protectant gives a nice matte finish on interior plastics, leather, vinyl, etc

You also might want to consider 3D Polish -- 3D International, LLC :: Polishes & Compounds :: HD Advanced Polish (http://www.hdcarcare.com/HD-Advanced-Polish.html) from our sponsor here--long working time, no dust, no oils left behind. And POXY as an LSP--POXY is a hybrid sealant/wax so you could save a step and it has a great deep wet look--3D International, LLC :: Waxes :: HD Poxy (http://www.hdcarcare.com/HD-Poxy.html). 3D pads are also great.

imported_RZJZA80
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Why not ONR for your regular wash instead of just the engine bay? I don`t even traditional wash cars anymore (been years actually).

umi000
08-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I have to say that I`m not a fan of the blue LC sponge - tried it for a couple of washes, but just didn`t like how it felt on the paint.

mikemurphy234
08-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Hello everyone.

Basically, I`ve been out of the detailing world for about 3 years. I moved to Chicago and sold all the cars. :(

But now I`m moving somewhere where I can get a car and start detailing again! I just ordered a Black 2013 Mustang GT Coupe. I know, I shouldn`t have gotten black but I`m up for the challenge. The car will be my summer car and will be garaged during the winter. I`ll be picking it up at the end of August and I`m starting to collect my detailing arsenal. The car will be untouched by the dealer with the plastic guard still on the car so I`m trying to put together a process for cleaning and protecting a new car. Below are some of the products I was thinking and the process. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think. I`m up for any changes in process or switching products. Thanks!

WASH

Foam Cannon

Power Washer

Optimum Car Wash or Chemical Guys Citrus Wash

Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge

3 Bucket System w/ 3 Grit Guards

DECONTAMINATE

CarPro Iron X Trigger Spray

CLAY

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay

POLISH (Only if needed)

Menzerna Super Finish (SF 4500) PO85RD

Grey LC Pad or Black LC Pad

SEALANT

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or Menzerna Power Lock

WAX

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Paste Wax

INTERIOR

Poorboy’s World Natural Look Dressing

303 High Tech Fabric Guard

ENGINE

Optimum No Rinse Wash

303 Aerospace Protectant

If your going to use a power washer, and I would everytime, you won`t need to use a three bucket wash system to wash the body of the car. I do use a seperate bucket for the tires / wheel wells though. I tried the blue grout sponge a couple times and even cut it in half to make it a bit more pliable but it still was pretty stiff. I like the citrus wash for an initial foam wash, mixed strong and left to dwell to help remove light wax or road grime but for weekly washes something a bit more gentle would be best.

If your going to clay you most definitely will need to polish because of the induced maring in spots from even a light claying. I haven`t worked on the 2013 Mustang paint but if it`s anything like the last few years the 85RD won`t remove much in the way of factory or dealer induced swirls.

For a sealant I`d recommend one of the permanent coatings. You`ll get a bit of scratch protection from washing and drying. Plus you`re not reapplying every 3 months.

If your going to be cleaning the engine compartment you can use an apc and assorted brushes then rinse off with water. Just dont spray a high pressure stream at anything electrical and you`ll be fine.

Hope this helps

Mike

Djulin
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
If your going to use a power washer, and I would everytime, you won`t need to use a three bucket wash system to wash the body of the car. I do use a seperate bucket for the tires / wheel wells though. I tried the blue grout sponge a couple times and even cut it in half to make it a bit more pliable but it still was pretty stiff. I like the citrus wash for an initial foam wash, mixed strong and left to dwell to help remove light wax or road grime but for weekly washes something a bit more gentle would be best.

If your going to clay you most definitely will need to polish because of the induced maring in spots from even a light claying. I haven`t worked on the 2013 Mustang paint but if it`s anything like the last few years the 85RD won`t remove much in the way of factory or dealer induced swirls.

For a sealant I`d recommend one of the permanent coatings. You`ll get a bit of scratch protection from washing and drying. Plus you`re not reapplying every 3 months.

If your going to be cleaning the engine compartment you can use an apc and assorted brushes then rinse off with water. Just dont spray a high pressure stream at anything electrical and you`ll be fine.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hey Mike, Thanks for the feedback.

I`ve done some more research and I`m getting rid of the blue grout sponge. I think I`m going to get CarPro`s Wool Wash Mitt.

As far as the dealer induced swirls, I`ve stressed to them that I do not want the car touched and that I want the plastic guard still on the car when I go and pick it up. So if they listen, do you think I`ll need to clay if it hasn`t been touched? And If I do, what should I use besides 85RD?

Do you have any recommendations for the permanent sealant? Opti-coat?

Thanks again.