PDA

View Full Version : hi, i need help on fixing up my jaguar`s exterior.

bigw909
08-01-2012, 11:48 PM
hi all, i came across this website while trying to do some research on how to restore the paint on my jaguar 1999 xj8 vanden plaz. it is black and is kept outside for a majority of the day(parking lot for school/hockey). the paint is showing fading/scratch swirls. here is an upclose picture of the paint(keep in mind i haven`t washed it in a few weeks )

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa462/bigw909/car/20120727_142807.jpg

what do i need to buy/do to give the car that deep,glassy,black shine that you see in showroom car?

imported_speedingpenguin
08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey BigW! Welcome to Autopia!

I like those Jags :2thumbs:

Looks like the paint could use some work though!

First you need to get the surface clean.... wash the car, go over it with a clay bar to remove any crap (literally and figuratively) that`s embedded in the paint, and then you`ll probably need to go over the car with a combination of compounds and/or polishes to even out the paint and remove those swirls/scratches. Are you looking for something you can do by hand or are you willing and ready to drop a little $$$ on supplies/equipment? (specifically, a dual action polisher, some polishing pads, and compounds/polishes) I use a Porter Cable 7424 with "CCS" foam pads and Pinnacle XMT polishes primarily and IMO it`s all easy to use and effective, though everyone`s gonna have their own personal opinion of what works best for their needs.

There is more info than you need here on the forums on paint correction, that Jag will look killer once it`s cleaned up and you get most of those swirls/scratches out!

And don`t forget to protect the paint once you`ve got it looking glossy and wet!

bigw909
08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
i am willing to spend a few bucks, just don`t want to go over 250 for all the supplies and equipment. i am a novice when it comes to car care products so if you could give me a list of products/equipment that i would need to purchase and order to use them in? it would be greatly appreciated!

Astro_ng
08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Welcome to autopia.

I would use the search function on this forum, many people seem to ask the same question on a weekly basis. All of the answers are at your finger tips.

tom p.
08-02-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/141912-jaguar-1999-paint-restore.html

bigw909
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/141912-jaguar-1999-paint-restore.html

i posed that thread first in the main forum but then decided that it would be more useful to post it in this section since i am new here. i don`t mean to spam the website :)

Brad B
08-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Good advice above. The choices for products can be overwhelming but read a few posts and you will see you can get a lot done with the bare minimum of products. Even though people have their favorites most brands have something to get the job done and make huge improvements on your paint. Technique is as ( or more) important than the products used. Good luck.

HINT: the more specific the questions you have posted on the main forum the better feedback you will get!

Balthazarr
08-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Sent PM to you