PDA

View Full Version : Products to apply for a very long lasting effect ?

sanuk
07-30-2012, 08:07 AM
I have an old 1997 Toyota 4Runner. It`s in very very good shape, and has been garaged nightly for most of it`s 15 years.

I`m going to let my daughter take this vehicle to school with her this year. I will not see it for the better part of the year.

I am looking for suggestions -- what product(s) and how many applications would I need to keep the paint protected and easy to clean for nearly a year.

What would you use ?

(Other info -- I haven`t detailed the car in many years, intend to buy a buffer, probably the Griots 6".)

Dan
07-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Bubble wrap? It`ll probably be abused in so many ways other than the environment, especially if she is going to live on campus. That said, nothing beats Opticoat/Optiguard for durability. There is nothing else that is going to make it nearly a year, at least not any traditional wax. Collinite might get you six months or so.

togwt
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Opti-Coat™ is not a nano particulate but is formulated from silicon (Si 14) (SiO2 -silica) according to Optimum it forms ceramic bonds at very high temperatures and will not be damaged by extreme heat and therefore resists oxidation. It’s a pre- polymer resin that cross links and forms a continuous film on the surfaces, it also contains ultra violet (UV) protection. Its application is similar to that of a single component Isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish.

Opti-Coat will provide a 2-4 µ (microns) film and a hardness of 9H (Pencil Hardness) when fully cross-linked and provides a semi-permanent coating that resists road dirt, grime and etc attaching to its surface by the ‘Lotus Effect. Compare this to a wax or sealant thickness of ~ 0.02 µm (microns) (~0 .00078 Mil)

White_Falcon
07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Duragloss 105 is good for up to a year.

imported_RZJZA80
07-30-2012, 10:28 AM

I sure hope so, I just used some over the weekend.

The Klasse twins has last a year for me on a daily driver also, topped with 915.

Accumulator
07-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Though I wasn`t parking outside 24/7, I too got great durability from heavily layered KSG (six coats).

But I get durability that`s at least as good, and usually quite better, from fewer layers of FK1000P. That`s what I`d use for this, in fact, it`s what I *do* use on my two daily drivers as I don`t want to be redoing them every six/eight/twelve months. Might even switch the Audis over to it.

Dan
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Don`t get me wrong, I like DG105, but up to a year on a car parked outdoors 24x7 isn`t going to happen. Not with 105, KSG, 1000P, etc. Sorry, I`d love for someone to prove me wrong on a DD, I really would. My fathers car got 1.5 years out of Optiseal (not Opticoat). Its parked indoors most of the time, there`s your "up to."

Accumulator
07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
...up to a year on a car parked outdoors 24x7 isn`t going to happen. Not with 105, KSG, 1000P, etc. Sorry...

Outside really is the kicker here, no question about it.

sanuk- Welcome to Autopia!

My big concern would probably be salt/etc. in the winter, if the vehicle will be exposed to that.

As for the protection lasting a year, I`d just plan to redo it when she`s home between semesters or something like that.