PDA

View Full Version : Advice Request

RTexasF
03-21-2006, 03:11 PM
The car is a `67 Vette. It was repainted about two years ago (black) and has been in the South Texas sun 100% since. It is unknown if the paint is single stage or cleared. I have not seen it yet and I doubt that it has even been washed since the paint job.

My thoughts are to do a small trial surface using the least abrasive methods possible then stepping up if no gains are noted. I have worked with fiberglass but it was gel coated not painted.

I am not rotary accomplished so a PC is my weapon of choice. I would think that tackling a "worst case" area first should tell me within a half hour if the remainder can be saved or not, this was explained in detail to the owner.

Providing the surface isn`t cracked or blistered does this sound like a reasonable approach or should I let this one go bye bye?

Any tips or tricks you`ld care to share? I`m anxious to hear them!

Thanks all,
Rick

jimmybuffit
03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Paint is paint. The Fiberglas body is irrelevant, regardless of Clearcoat (probably) or single stage.

Washing the car is critical (a 3 step decon process would be great) and take your time with the claybar, using the baggie to check your progress.

Good news is that if really hasn`t been washed, you should not encounter typical swirls! Once you get the surface really clean, you`ll be able to determine the quality of the new finish, and then your course of correction.

Your basic premise of a trial area seems sound.

Good Luck!

Jim

RTexasF
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks Jim, your response is genuinely appreciated.

You know I hadn`t even considered the possibility of no swirls due to the overall neglect. I spoke to the owner today and he said the paint job was $4000!!!! Imron perhaps? He doesn`t know, he just coughed up the $$ and then gave up on it because the engine cratered. I`ve no idea if body work was involved either. I had planned on washing the car several times before even going to the clay.....I may need a pound of it.

A new engine is being installed and it may be drivable (tags, inspection, & registration stickers pending) within a week or two. I`ll need to look into the FK1 3 step decon process a little closer, and others too for that matter, assuming they exist.

JaredPointer
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Paint is paint. The Fiberglas body is irrelevant, regardless of Clearcoat (probably) or single stage.

Ding! :D

Long time no see Mr. Buffit. :)

Brenton
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
1/2 hour can tell you a lot about paint.
I would test a verticla panel and a horizontal panel.

RTexasF
03-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks PEI.

I figured that if I could restore a sun surface then the vertical sufaces would be considerably easier. Having said that, I will take your advice to do a test panel on both surfaces.

This could be a very lucrative deal providing it`s not too far gone to bring back. Again, I haven`t even seen it yet so I`m somewhat apprehensive for no real reason. I told the owner that I would need it for two days providing the initial test works out.

Brenton
03-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Two years should be okay, honestly.

RTexasF
03-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Two years should be okay, honestly.

It won`t take me THAT long!:howdy :D

RTexasF
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the responses. Judging by the few I received I suppose the question was a bit stupid. We would all start with the least abrasive setup and work our way up, nothing new there.

I`ll tackle it as I would any other job......take my time, do it better than it has to be, then look over it again for flaws and correct the ones I find.

Thanks all.

cwcad
03-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. Judging by the few I received I suppose the question was a bit stupid.

Thanks all.

First off the question was not stupid. I know I did not answer because you asked something specific that I did not have working knowledge of.

You recieved an answer from an experienced detailer. It should serve you well.

Good luck!!

Brenton
03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
It won`t take me THAT long!:howdy :D

Right on. LOL.