PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless wash compare-o

Mikeyc
03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/mike_cohen/IMG_0786.jpg
I now own all three brands of rinseless wash that exist (at least that I am aware of). Please keep in mind that waterless washes are different from rinseless washes and will not be included in this test.

Rinseless washes seem to be a pretty hot subject and many detailers/detailing enthusiasts are switching from the traditional hose wash to rinseless washes for all their washing needs. Rinseless washes are also used widely by those who live in cold climates to wash in the garage during the winter months.

I haven`t actually performed the comparison as yet, but it will likely happen sometime this week since I just received the DP product today. Here is the plan . . . 4 buckets will be used. One bucket will contain rinse water and the other three will contain 1 gallon of water and the amount of rinseless wash prescribed in the product`s directions. NO QD WILL BE ADDED to any buckets. This is to keep it as fair a fight as possible since two of the three products claim not to need the added lubricity QD provides. The washing will be done with a lambs wool mitt and drying with a WW MF.

Here are the contenders:

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Detailer`s Pride Four-In-One Rinseless Wash & Shine
http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html

ProtectAll Quick & Easy Wash
http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm

flatstick
03-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I haven`t actually performed the comparison as yet, but it will likely happen sometime this week since I just received the DP product today. Here is the plan . . . 4 buckets will be used. One bucket will contain rinse water and the other three will contain 1 gallon of water and the amount of rinseless wash prescribed in the product`s directions. NO QD WILL BE ADDED to any buckets. This is to keep it as fair a fight as possible since two of the three products claim not to need the added lubricity QD provides. The washing will be done with a lambs wool mitt and drying with a WW MF.

Here are the contenders:

I have tried all three and it looks like I have a favorite. did not want to hijack your thread so I will not post my opinion. guess all I can add is try to evaluate all aspects of the washes to get a good idea on which is tops for you. will look forward to your thoughts. thanks for the post.

2005Accord
03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
NO QD WILL BE ADDED to any buckets.

I wasn`t aware that QD could be added to the wash cycle. INteresting.

Would you consider the Mr. Clean System a `no rinse` product?

Big Leegr
03-21-2006, 01:42 PM
The Mr. Clean system still requires a rinse. It is just supposed to be "spot free" without drying.

Mr. Clean
03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
How about a "me too" post :)

I also purchased the Optimum and DP "rinseless wash & shine" offerings to go along with my QEW. Though, I purchased these for potential use as a water conditioner, clay lube, dirty door jambs (for well maintained door jambs, I find PB`s S&W to fill the bill quite nicely), and for a last resort car wash. I will also be interested to see if there are significant differences in the performance of the 3. I`ll admit going into the comparison, I am biased toward the "no significant" difference outcome, but I`ve been surprised before. ;)

GregCavi
03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Looking forward to the review.

One thing you should definatly do it test the slickness after the wash and most importantly see how dirty the mitt gets after a panel. With QEW my mitt would never get super dirty or stained. WIth optimum NRWS my mitt gets very dirty. Just a suggestion!

Greg

Mikeyc
03-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the helpful feed back guys. Please feel free to throw in more ideas for the test as it probably won`t happen for a day or two. Most likely the test will involve using the products as rinseless washes and also using them as "waterless" wash from a spray bottle as these are my two main uses for these products.

Personally, I don`t ever see myself not doing a hose wash when weather permits. However, I live in MA where we typically get plenty of snow, cold, and salt/sand. So, as long as I am detail crazy I am forced to use these products (not that this is really a bad thing) as they are a better alternative to the tunnel car wash/coin-op self serve wash/touchless wash.

Mr. Clean
03-21-2006, 04:30 PM
...see how dirty the mitt gets after a panel. With QEW my mitt would never get super dirty or stained. WIth optimum NRWS my mitt gets very dirty...
Good observation. I will check that occurrence out myself. I generally use cotton chenille wash pads with QEW, and I find they become more soiled than when used with traditional wash methods.

...as they are a better alternative to the tunnel car wash/coin-op self serve wash/touchless wash.
Actually, I have found QEW to be most suitable when used to compliment either the touchless tunnel wash or the DYI wand washes when washing a dirty winter vehicle. A quick pre-soak spray of PB`s S&W (or perhaps Bug Squash) always seemed prudent.

Mikeyc
03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Actually, I have found QEW to be most suitable when used to compliment either the touchless tunnel wash or the DYI wand washes when washing a dirty winter vehicle. A quick pre-soak spray of PB`s S&W (or perhaps Bug Squash) always seemed prudent.
No Rinse washes are definitely easier to use if you can knock off the real nasty crud first. However, I`ve seen some fairly dirty cars washed with these products without marring.

harry444
03-21-2006, 10:47 PM
I live in new york and we also get some nasty weather I never tried any no rinse washes I go to a local detailer in the winter to get my car washed maybe I should try S&W sometime ...

Mikeyc
03-22-2006, 12:05 AM
I live in new york and we also get some nasty weather I never tried any no rinse washes I go to a local detailer in the winter to get my car washed maybe I should try S&W sometime ...
I have Poorboy`s S&W as well. It`s actually a "waterless" wash which is different from a "no rinse" wash. Although, many of the no rinse washes claim that you can mix them up to be waterless washes.

To me at least a waterless wash like S&W is kind of like a supercharged QD. I find no rinse wash solutions are much closer to traditional washing than waterless washes.

2005Accord
03-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Are these so called `waterless` washes safe for the finish? Seems to me that you`d spend less time just hitting it with the hose and struggling through the icy weather. Then again, maybe I don`t fully understand the waterless idealogy.

Big Leegr
03-22-2006, 09:10 AM
One thing to consider with any winter washing, is that if the car is cold, the water/rinseless wash solution/waterless wash spray will all freeze on the car. You need to have a warm finish to do this.
If you do have a warm finish (ie, car has been in the sun for a while, just came out of a warm garage, or something) The non-hose options offer a way to clean your car A) If you live in a house and can use a hose, you don`t have to risk freezing the pipes/hose, nor have slippery ice all over your driveway. B) If you live in an apartment/don`t have access to a hose, these let you wash your car without having to drive home from the car wash and get you car a splattered up on the drive home.
Also, if you live in an area with water restrictions, even if you have access to a hose, you may not be "allowed to waste" water on car washing. This provides an alternative.
As to the safety, I can say from experience that they can be used to clean a black car without scouring it up. I can also say that if you aren`t particular you can scour a car with a traditional hose/bucket wash. It really depends on the person and how much care they put into the task.

Mr. Clean
03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Big Leegr, that just about covers it. :bigups

We are currently under water restrictions due to what has been labeled a moderate drought based on water levels at a local lake, which is the main water source for many cities. Currently, we can water landscape/wash vehicles 2 days per week, but I am gearing up just in case the situation is elevated and I am forced to use this method.

My preference is the use of a traditional hose/bucket(s) wash. IMO the bucketless washes do not afford the same safety factor as being able to flood the surface with a pre-rinse followed by soapy/sudsy water to encapsulate and remove the more stubborn dirt/grime and a final rinse to wash it all away.

I know several (maybe many) of you use QEW and the like often and are satisfied with the results. I have used a gallon or so of QEW trying to like it. At least at this point, these types of washes will remain my wash of last resort.

Mikeyc
03-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, I just put 1.5 ounces of each product into 24 oz. spray bottles for the test. Unfortunately, I`m out of distilled water so I wasn`t able to finish mixing the products as waterless washes. However, expect my test tomorrow. I`ve been spurred on by the fact that I just bought a power washer which I want to try out too.

Here are some initial thoughts pre-use:

The Optimum product smells AWFUL. I can`t really describe it . . . it`s just bad. The DP has a light orange smell and the QEW smells kind of soapy.

The Optimum product also seemed to be a little thicker than the other two. When I shake each of the three bottles the Optimum seems to stick to the sides more and slides back to the bottom much slower than the other two.

The packaging of the Optimum and DP products are pretty similar. I HATE the square bottle my QEW came in (see picture at beginning of thread). The QEW always pours down the side of the bottle causing plenty of waste.