PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Wheel Etching/Corrosion Hlep Needed

ari.opsahl
07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

I bought these wheels about a year ago ago and I have had them on the truck all summer. I have been pretty good about keeping them and the truck washed once a week or so. I also switch out to another set of wheels for off roading, so these ones are true street queen wheels.

Anyways, I was washing the other day and I noticed that all four wheels are developing this etching/corrosion on them. Here are the pictures. You should be able to see the little flakes/chips. I clean the wheels with Meguiars chrome wheel cleaner and a soft brush.

The wheels are made by KMC, who apparently does not have a phone number. I contacted an authorized dealer, and they said that there is not much they can do about it. Long story I am not happy about it.

What can I do about this? How can I prevent any additional etching or corrosion on them?

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx169/aopsahl7/photo1-1.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx169/aopsahl7/photo2.jpg

Ron Ketcham
07-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Look for country of origin, manufactering county.

They look Chinese and many of the start-ups that first started selling in the US a few years back used what is referred to as "splatter chrome" plating. (there were a few wheels produced in other countries that used this process as well)

It does not hold up will to enviormental exposure.

Allow me to say at this point that not ALL China manufacturers use this very cheap process, there are actually some of the best aftermarket wheels coming over from China.

Back to your concern.

If you look "closely" at the concerns, you may notice it appears that the chrome coating has collapsed into the wheel, and the shine is there, not cloudy or rusted, but just shiney pits. This is indicative of splatter chrome when it ages.

That said, it is still a crap shoot, but origin of manufacturer may be the indicator.

Grumpy

Bis
08-28-2012, 06:39 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/627261f9-ad8a-a402.jpg I am dealing with a similar problem on these American Racing brand wheels. the front wheels clearly are suffering more than the rear due to brake dust. I waxed them real well but collinite isn`t able to protect against this problem.

I even see a chip on the top left! how do I keep the existing pits from progressing and new ones from forming?!

Bis
08-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I meant, "bottom left"

Accumulator
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
My take on this (and I deal with a fair bit of compromised chrome plating)- Once chrome plating is compromised the best you can do is usually just avoid neglecting it to the point that it gets worse any quicker than it probably will anyhow.

Once you clean it up as best you can, apply the most durable LSP/coating you can, e.g., FK1000P or, better yet, something like OptiCoat.

Bis
08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
thx accumulator.

Accumulator
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Heh heh, looking at my response a day later, I sure posted one garbled-up sentence there! Glad you could make sense out of it.