PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quick once a month wax

sharingan625
07-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey guys,

Can you recommend some quick and easy wax I can use?

I just bought a new car (white) and I want to do a coat of wax after every wash (once a month) without polishing. So far I read some reviews on OCW and that sounded pretty good to me.

Oh and the car has a lot of plastic so something without residue would be nice.

Thank you!

C. Charles Hahn
07-22-2012, 01:01 AM
OCW would be my pick for ease/speed of application. I usually get around 3 weeks out of it give-or-take.

You might consider applying an initial ground coat of some sort of sealant on the paint first.

sharingan625
07-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Thank you. Is OCW okay to be sprayed over plastic trims?

C. Charles Hahn
07-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Thank you. Is OCW okay to be sprayed over plastic trims?

Yes, it will not stain the trim so it`s fine to use on/around them as well.

sharingan625
07-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Awesome. I will give OCW a try. Thank you!

DM101
07-22-2012, 05:39 AM
If you go the sealant route HD POXY would be great. Then a touch up of CGuys Hybrid V7-Optical Select-High Gloss Spray Sealant Detailer. Make sure the car is prepped right before any LSP is applied.

shortspark
07-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Duragloss has some maintenance stuff that bonds with their LSP and could be another option for you. Their products have a good reputation and are priced right. I have a "Diamond" white ML350 and it glistens with the Duragloss products. After claying I put on a coat of bonding agent (601) followed by their polish/sealant (105). That protects the paint up to a year if you follow up after each wash with a spray of their AquaWax (actually a form of sealant more than a wax). For a quick detailer you can use their Fast Clean and Shine. These products actually bond with the sealant (105) so you enhance both gloss and protection at the same time giving them a boost with each application.

I am anxious to try their pure sealant (111) which I understand is even better on white paint. The 111 is all sealant with no cleaners unlike the 105 polish which contains some paint cleaners. I would consider the 105 to be more of an AIO type product. But whatever Duragloss product you use as your LSP, it is the spray on AquaWax that addresses your question.

pwaug
07-22-2012, 09:54 AM
+1 What shortspark said!!! You can get it locally at some Carquests and NAPA stores will order it and have it a day later. Or, if you order from their website they have a fixed shipping charge that I believe is $4.95.

Dan
07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
AW is great on perfect paint and if you want the sealant look. Megs UQW is great all around. But my absolute favorite is OCW. True wax looks, class leading durability and it fills a bit.

2005GTPinMD
07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Another vote for OCW - it looks great and is so easy to apply.

sharingan625
07-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Thank you for the suggestions guys. Couple more questions.

1. Can a sealant be used as an one step product after a wash? My untrained eyes can`t tell the difference between the polish look, sealant look and wax look.

2. Is Aquawax okay with black plastic trim?

3. How does Meguiar`s ultimate quick wax compare to OCW and AW in ease of use and plastic trim safe?

Thank you!

Dan
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Thank you for the suggestions guys. Couple more questions.

1. Can a sealant be used as an one step product after a wash? My untrained eyes can`t tell the difference between the polish look, sealant look and wax look.

2. Is Aquawax okay with black plastic trim?

3. How does Meguiar`s ultimate quick wax compare to OCW and AW in ease of use and plastic trim safe?

Thank you!

1. If your paint is ok, and you are happy with it, sure. If you aren`t going to polish, I`d recommend going with something like DG501 (yeah the RV stuff) or DG105.

2. Works fine on trim, doesn`t enhance or detract from the look.

3. Works like both, a bit more wax type look, slicker than AW, and probably as durable. Safe on plastic as well. OCW actually darkens plastic a bit, a nice effect for quick washes where you don`t want to use a dedicated protectant.

You really can`t go wrong with any of them, they all work great and are pretty much bubba-proof.

sharingan625
07-22-2012, 06:28 PM
cool. Thank you very much!