PDA

View Full Version : Prescription for silver ( GM)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fallz
07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Ok , this is a new to me car. I picked up and 09 Vette convt.

Its Blade Silver.

I want to put something on that makes it just wet looking , since i can`t really get depth with silver.

I will prep properly , longevity is not that huge of and issue.

C. Charles Hahn
07-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Congrats on the `vette!

I`ve always liked the look of Opti-Seal on my blade silver GM.

Thomas Dekany
07-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Hey - we all have an opinion, but I will take the pepsi challenge with HD NITRO SEAL. HD Nitro Seal (http://www.autopia-store.org/HD-Nitro-Seal.html?a_aid=8013)

Fallz
07-21-2012, 07:55 AM
How would OCW work on silver ? would it give it to much of a different hue ?

Just asking because I would like to set it up once and just maintain it . I am going to do a coat of OPT/GPS today .

Another question , does the OS dry on its own ? I seen to can`t get it to dry unless I use it like a QD and not the WOWO like it was intended .

C. Charles Hahn
07-21-2012, 03:24 PM
How would OCW work on silver ? would it give it to much of a different hue ?

Just asking because I would like to set it up once and just maintain it . I am going to do a coat of OPT/GPS today .

OCW works just fine on that color as well.

Another question , does the OS dry on its own ? I seen to can`t get it to dry unless I use it like a QD and not the WOWO like it was intended .

If it`s not flashing off on its own, you`re applying it too heavy. All you want/need is a thin, even coat.

Fallz
07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Guys I need more advice .....

After looking at the paint much more closely and a wipe down of ONR I have noticed not even a marring mark on this car under all sorts of lights I tried. I know GPS has a little cut to it and was wondering if it would mar the finish ? or since it`s in such good shape and shine with what ever is on there should I just apply OS and OCW and call it a day ? I just don`t know how to handle this one. I was going to try some Megs 20 ect... but don`t know if I really want to go that route and would rather stay with OPT stuff on this one .

Sorry for the ramble , just confused right now. I want to get this shine to pop and was even thinking a few coats of 1000p instead .

C. Charles Hahn
07-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Guys I need more advice .....

After looking at the paint much more closely and a wipe down of ONR I have noticed not even a marring mark on this car under all sorts of lights I tried. I know GPS has a little cut to it and was wondering if it would mar the finish ? or since it`s in such good shape and shine with what ever is on there should I just apply OS and OCW and call it a day ? I just don`t know how to handle this one. I was going to try some Megs 20 ect... but don`t know if I really want to go that route and would rather stay with OPT stuff on this one .

Sorry for the ramble , just confused right now. I want to get this shine to pop and was even thinking a few coats of 1000p instead .

Are you applying/working the GPS with a DA? It shouldn`t cause any marring, especially if you use something like a soft black finishing pad. It`s totally up to you whether you feel it`s necessary or not... the OS/OCW may make it "pop" all on its own.

Dan
07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Zaino Z2+Z8 looks stunning on silver. Collinite 845 is also a strong choice. OS and FK1000P are also pretty good. As much as I love OCW, you won`t get any sort of pop on silver with it.

Fallz
07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Charles, I am applying by a hand or DA if needed.

Dan, The ocw pooped out on me as well . I may try the 845 or MEGS NXT or UPW.

Dan
07-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Charles, I am applying by a hand or DA if needed.

Dan, The ocw pooped out on me as well . I may try the 845 or MEGS NXT or UPW.

I`d go for the 845 over NXT or UPW. Both NXT and UPW stress a deep wet look which does nothing for med to lighter silvers. 845 is pretty bright so it looks great on lighter silvers.

Scottwax
07-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I`d go with Opti-Coat and once a month add some OCW after a wash.

JSFM35X
07-28-2012, 05:20 AM
I`d go with Opti-Coat and once a month add some OCW after a wash.

I just opti coated a silver Subaru. Ice silver metallic and it brought out the flake and looks great. Plus the maintenance is suppose to be super easy. It is still in the garage as I plan on packing on another coat on the wheel and applying to jambs this weekend.

Fallz
07-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I did an OS , but Opti-coat scare the crap out of me ...lol. Im afraid of F`n up someplace and not being able to fix it. ON the other hand I have a few test cars that people donated to try that are silver so I`ll have to learn how to do it.

I am going to put on some OCW after the OS to see what it looks like. On my black Tahoe it looks very wet but silver is hard to pop with anything. Thats what I am after wet look. Ive tried some Megs NXT on a panel with some good wet results , but then I have to watch every bit of trim , ect.... the OPT is just so much more user friendly.

DM101
07-28-2012, 11:17 AM
OS would be good. After it cures hit it with Hybrid V7-Optical Select-High Gloss Spray Sealant Detailer,

Dan
07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Ive tried some Megs NXT on a panel with some good wet results , but then I have to watch every bit of trim , ect.... the OPT is just so much more user friendly.

Just pop for the Zaino Z2 then. It looks like NXT, even more amped up and its trim friendly.