PDA

View Full Version : Foam Pads & Dawn Power Disolver???

Pages : [1] 2

pwaug
07-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I`ve been using Dawn Power Disolver to clean my B&S foam pads with great results--removes polishes and even Sealants with ease and seems to rinse out well--it doesn`t seem to contain the hand softening agents as in regular Dawn. I read a post on another forum from someone who claim Dawn Power Disolver destroyed foam pads.

Does anyone use Dawn Power Disolver to clean their pads?? Has anyone had problems with their pads from it`s use??

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I used to, but not anymore. I noticed when using it, the pad DID become clean and looking brand new again, but the pad never had the same cut, and failed pretty quickly when used again. It might just be the LC pads because my Megs pads can get wet and washed and still perform fine, but LC pads just can`t. It`s either them getting wet or the power dissolver, or both, but I don`t wash and try to reuse LC pads anymore.

What I HAVE done that works great, it put some water in a bucket, spray a liberal amount of simple green in the bucket and on the pads, and let the pads soak for a while, agitate a little and brand new again. Doing it this way, the pads seemed to keep their cut.

pwaug
07-13-2012, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=RZJZA80;1506451

What I HAVE done that works great, it put some water in a bucket, spray a liberal amount of simple green in the bucket and on the pads, and let the pads soak for a while, agitate a little and brand new again. QUOTE]

Great idea!! At what dilution do you use with the Simple Green??

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I use simple green at 100% strength, I never dilute it. Just spray a bunch in the bucket with the water, which will dilute it, and some on the pads and toss them in the bucket, swirl them around a little like you`re making some soup, and come back later and rinse them off.

Dan
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I`ve been using Dawn Power dissolver probably longer than anyone else, since I`m the one that first posted about it. No issues to report other than normal pad wear. FWIW, I don`t let the pads sit for long periods of time. I still haven`t found anything else that removes stubborn sealants quite like DPD.

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I`ve been using Dawn Power dissolver probably longer than anyone else, since I`m the one that first posted about it. No issues to report other than normal pad wear. FWIW, I don`t let the pads sit for long periods of time. I still haven`t found anything else that removes stubborn sealants quite like DPD.

It cleans great, that`s for sure, but have you ever noticed that after washing pads with it, they just don`t cut the same anymore? Are they LC pads by chance?

Dan
07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Nope, mine keep cutting the same. In fact I`m still on the same four maroon megs pads from 06 or 07. My LC pads are fine as well, though I do find they are inferior to Megs. I probably get 1/2 the life out of them compared to Megs.

How long are you soaking your pads for? I spray mine, let them sit, maybe 5 minutes tops.

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 11:12 AM
When using dissolver, I rinse them first, then spray them liberally and let them sit for a few minutes, then rub the pad all around, then rinse while continuing to rub the grime off. A few squeezes to removes excess water, and place on a towel to air dry. My LC H20 pads are never the same after this process, so I stopped washing altogether.

Thomas Dekany
07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Same here - never any issues with using it.

pwaug
07-13-2012, 11:41 AM
How long are you soaking your pads for? I spray mine, let them sit, maybe 5 minutes tops.

When I`m done with the pad while still polishing I throw them into a bucket with a mild Dawn solution. Then when completed polishing give each a couple of squirts of DPD, work the DPD into the pad from the center out, rinse well under running water working from the center out then put them between the folds of a thick terry towel on the floor and step on each pad (no wringing or twisting of the pad)--at that point they usually appear to be dry enough to reuse, but let them air dry overnight. I use B&S pads and though I haven`t been at this too long they seem to be like new and I just didn`t want to have to replace them all prematurely.

Thanks guys for the input!!!!!

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 11:44 AM
^ from the responses, I`m gathering I`m only having an issue because it`s with just the LC pads. Megs pads last a very long time. I think I`ll order 20 or so B & S pads and see how they perform.

pwaug
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
^ from the responses, I`m gathering I`m only having an issue because it`s with just the LC pads. Megs pads last a very long time. I think I`ll order 20 or so B & S pads and see how they perform. There are a couple of places on the web you can order them, but keep in mind that one sight sells B&S 5.5" pads that don`t have the recessed velcro if that matters to you (makes it easier to center the pad and don`t have to be as careful about damaging adjacent protrusions) Also, I believe 3D and Uber pads are B&S pads with a private lable.

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I think I`ll go with what`s cheapest, the B & S pads, if they`re all otherwise the same thing. I found them for a good deal

jmsc
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I also have never had any cutting issues with my LC pads using D P Disolver.

After a panel or 2-3 of use I spray lightly the pad with disolver, let stand a few minutes, agitate and rinse thoroughly under running warm/cool water. Squeeze out the water and let air dry. Then pull out another pad to use. No issues whatsoever even after a few years of pad use.

imported_RZJZA80
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Have you tried the H20 pads? The CCS and other LC pads last a lot longer than the H20 pads I use.