PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Detailing Dilema

stang03
03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Well today I began to detail my car, I washed Clay Bar`ed, SSR2.5 (w/ light cutting pad) and PwC and finished off with Spray and Gloss.

The paint looks great except when I have my two 500w halogen lights pointing directly at a surface I can still see fine scratches and water spots (that have etched into the surface), I don`t know what more to do?? Is there any way to get rid of these things?? Maybe a medium cutting pad?? It is those type of imperfections that you have to look at in certain light and a certain way, but I know they are there!! LOL

I hate to go back and redo the whole thing, because all I lack is some EX-P and Natty`s. But if a harder pad will work I just might go back.

Any help I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Brent

stang03
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Well,

This morning I went back to one side of my hood and used some SSR2.5 w/ a medium cutting pad, it got rid of some of the finer/longer swirl marks but now I have micro marring....

So I then went to SSR1 with a polishing pad...to PwC with a finishing pad and then EX-P....and they are still there....What do I need to do??? I am not gonna stop until this paint is flawless I am determined now!!

Thanks
Brent

joe.p
03-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Well,

This morning I went back to one side of my hood and used some SSR2.5 w/ a medium cutting pad, it got rid of some of the finer/longer swirl marks but now I have micro marring....

So I then went to SSR1 with a polishing pad...to PwC with a finishing pad and then EX-P....and they are still there....What do I need to do??? I am not gonna stop until this paint is flawless I am determined now!!

Thanks
Brent
The micro marring may be from the light cut pad.PBs SSRs like to be used with a polishing pad. How long did you work the SSR . I would talk with Steve..

stang03
03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I used the SSR1 with a polishing pad and worked it about 5-6 minutes per half of the hood. (on a mustang)

JaredPointer
03-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Maybe you could step the SSR2.5 to a polish pad and work that for a while. Pictures might also help.

stang03
03-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I tried to take pictures of the marring but I can`t seem to get them to show up...man I sure am anal about these scratches....

stang03
03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
as an update:

I did the other side of the hood with a different process I used SSR2.5 with a medium cutting pad, SSR2.5 with a polishing pad, SSR1 with a polishing pad, PwC with a finishing pad, EX-P and then I have Natty`s setting on there now...so far this part of the hood has turned out better

budman3
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Just make sure you use the correct amount of polish and work it in long enough when using the 2.5. Follow up with the SSR1 like you seem to be doing and you should be fine. Just remember that some swirls may need to be left on the surface because they are too deep and if you go to far trying to get them out you may do more harm than good. Just something to think about. What are you using for product removal?

stang03
03-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I am using a microfiber towel.....brand new just opened.

As far as the whole process goes I stopped after the hood because I figured (like you said) I was doing more harm than good. So I am hoping the EX-P and Natty`s Blue will cover most of them up....thanks for your help