PDA

View Full Version : HD Avanced polish help!

Pages : [1] 2

strauss
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I polished my car out last night using HD Advanced Polish. I was using the Griots DA machine at speed 5 for the entire car. I tried the LC Hyrotech tangerine pad and LC flat white pad. With both pads I was struggling with the product at first. It seemed the pad was "gumming" up and slinging small clumps of polish off the pad after about 2 passes in each direction working a 2 square foot section. This seemed very strange to me as I never experienced this with my Menzerna polishes or M205. The first pad I was using was spritzed with QD, so I switched to another new dry pad. Started getting the same results. The only way I could stop slinging the tiny clumps was to use a VERY small amount of polish on the pad. Honesty it seemed like I was not using enough polish at this point but it was the only way to stop the clumping. If anyone else has had this happen and knows a fix for this I`d love to hear it.

Car is a 2009 Subaru Impreza with VERY soft clear

washed with ONR

clayed car using ONR for lube

went to HD polish on LC hydrotech tangerine pad

Griots DA at speed 5

I also tried differnt pad pressures to see if that would help. If I tried to let up on the pad after a couple passes, it slung even worse. I was getting little, almost ball shaped clumps slinging off the pad. Once I started using VERY small amounts of product the slinging almost stopped completly. It was very strange. Also should be noted that I was cleaning the pads often thinking they were gumming up. Used a pad brush and a microber towel also. Niether seemed to make a difference.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Small is relative. 4 dime sized dots is all I use to prime a pad.

Thomas Dekany
07-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi - How much polish were you using to start with? It sounds like you used way too much.

imported_RZJZA80
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM
The only times I`ve had a similar experiences is when the paint was very, very dry, and would absorb the oils out of the polish, leaving the rest to heat up and clump together. What was the condition of your paint? Has it been regularly maintained and sealed? What condition is your HD Polish? Is it dry and clumpy or fluid like?

I`m not sure if you really used too much polish, as I`ve tried it both as directed (4 - 6 dots on the pad I think it says), and then barely any at all (2 dots on the pad), and it seems to work the same both ways.

Thomas Dekany
07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
If it slings, that means there is too much product on the pad. I know it is hard for some to except that with the HD line the less you use the better, but that is how it suppose to work. Now I have heard that in humid weather sometimes it can act up. But because you mentioned that it was also slinging, that is an indication that there is too much product on the pad.

PS: in my case, if the pad has been used for a while and is saturated with the polish, even 2 dots are too much. Once you make this slight adjustment, you will like how easy it is to use.

imported_RZJZA80
07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
It seemed the pad was "gumming" up and slinging small clumps of polish off the pad after about 2 passes in each direction working a 2 square foot section.

I think there`s two different types of slinging discussed here. OP mentioned it would sling clumps of polish, which to me, means it`s was dried up to clump, not wet as in too much product as the sling that happens with rotary use.

SSizzlin'
07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
4 dime sized dots is all I use to prime a pad.

Dime sized? That`s a lot of product, IMO.

Dan
07-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Dime sized? That`s a lot of product, IMO.

http://www.datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/speed_vs_zaio_20.jpg

Works great for me. (note picture is Speed not Polish).

SSizzlin'
07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/speed_vs_zaio_20.jpg

Works great for me. (note picture is Speed not Polish).

That looks more like pea-sized to me. :cool1:

Dan
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I dunno, I guess if you squash a pea, you get something about the size of a dime.

strauss
07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
The only times I`ve had a similar experiences is when the paint was very, very dry, and would absorb the oils out of the polish, leaving the rest to heat up and clump together. What was the condition of your paint? Has it been regularly maintained and sealed? What condition is your HD Polish? Is it dry and clumpy or fluid like?

I`m not sure if you really used too much polish, as I`ve tried it both as directed (4 - 6 dots on the pad I think it says), and then barely any at all (2 dots on the pad), and it seems to work the same both ways.

My cars paint was in good shape. I regularly wash and wax my car. About 4 weeks ago it got clayed and a coat of BFWD applied. The polish was purchased about a week ago so it was brand new, this was my first time using it.

Actually it wasn`t slinging really. More like it was drying out and clumping up on my pads. It would then throw tiny balls of polish off the pad. As far as how much product I was using, at first I used 6 small dots per the directions on the bottle. That section was fine. Then I used two small, pea sized dots and it started to clump on my last few passes. I then used about one pea sized dot, split into two on the pad. That stopped the clumping but I had little work time and the product started to dry quickly on the car and leave small lines of powdery dust. Never did the polish seem to be very wet on the car, only when I first spread it around. Didn`t look shiny and oily like a lot of other polishes.

I have been doing paint correction for almost 10yrs now. Never have I had a polish do this to me. I was very confused and surprised as I expected this product to be very user friendly from what I`ve read. I have not given up on it yet. Just looking for some help or advice to get me going in the right direction.

Thomas Dekany
07-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I am actually guilty of never reading the directions on any of these HD products. I didn`t realize they are suggesting 6 drops to start with. That to me is indeed too much. To polish with HD POLISh I`d start with 3 pea sized drops on a polishing pad. Once the pad is primed I use 1 or 2 small droplets. Can you see if that works for you any better?

Thomas Dekany
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
PS: do you by any chance have a green HD pad to try it with?

strauss
07-11-2012, 10:53 PM
PS: do you by any chance have a green HD pad to try it with?

Unfortunately I do not. When I stated I tried a white LC pad, it was an old CCS pad. I don`t like those pads anyway but it did seem to clump up and throw tiny bits of dried polish less than the tangerine hydrotech pad. I have some original style flat, white LC pads on the way. I`ve seen many people on here use this polish with those pads with no issues(also have seen lots of people use the HD greens). Also on my first few sections with the white CCS pad, the polish finally had the "look" I`m used to seeing when working a polish on the car. By that I mean that kind of 3D, slippery/shiny/wet look the polish has as it`s being worked on the panel. I never really got that look with the amount of polish I had to use on the other pads. Only on the first pass or two did it lok like that. It would then quickly start to dry and fade away, also turning to a powdery dust. With that being said, that is why I was thinking I wasn`t using enough polish. When I say a tiny bit was used, I really stress the TINY bit. The only combo I could get to not clump up was using two, tic tac(candy) sized dots. IMO, from everything I`ve used in the past, that seemed like too little. But I was determined to use this polish yesterday and it was the only way I could get it to work.

I will be polishing my fathers Honda S2000 either tomorrow or Friday. I will be trying to use this polish again since I really want to make this stuff work. I`ve had really high hopes for this. I also purchased HD UNO but have yet to use it. I appreciate all the help from you all!

imported_Quenga
07-12-2012, 03:10 AM
It`s gotta be something you`re doing...hmm :think: I would take a few snap shots of every time you apply/re-apply product. Video would be great too. I`ve used it on white/black CCS pads on both my PC and rotary with no issues. It sounds like you`re either using too much, not working it long enough (before applying more and more product), working on a hot surface or not cleaning the pad well enough. Hopefully you get it down. Aside from these stupid bottles, I`ve been very happy with HD Uno/Polish.