PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble keeping aluminum wheels scratch free.

GlossyTundra
07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I put some 15x10 Pacer uncoated Aluminum wheels on my Jeep. When new there was not a scratch on them, however after a few washings and some wheeling trips they seem to be covered in fine scratches.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/glossytundra/IMG_4661.jpg

It seems as even the act of rubbing an applicator across the clean surface of the wheel is causing micro-marring and dulling the wheels finish by the act.

I`m using a very soft bristled brush and microfiber applicators to clean and apply polish. What could I do to help prevent further marring or what could I do to remove the marring already there? I`ve only had these wheels for a few weeks and they already look duller than when I first got them.

Ron Ketcham
07-10-2012, 07:21 PM
They are not "coated" with a urethane or powder coat.

Get some Mother`s and keep them polished.

Grumpy

togwt
07-11-2012, 03:26 AM

Grumpy

...and apply a coating type product (i.e. Opti-Seal)

GlossyTundra
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Grumpy

I stated in the first part of my OP that they were uncoated. Opti-seal and other products like it arent working. That would prevent oxidation, I`m having problems with micromarring.

Paul Sparks
07-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Couldn`t you polish out the micro marring with Semi-Chrome,Never Dull or Opt metal polish and then Opti-Coat as you would a coated wheel ?

RaskyR1
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
High polished aluminum wheels are a full time job, much like owning a black car....and I`ll NEVER own another set again!

Pick up some Mag/Aluminum polish and use it regularly.

You could try Opti-Coat on them too...