PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew Paint Cleanser feat. Meg`s D114

rwright
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Greetings all. I recently started experimenting with a home brew paint cleanser and this has worked well for me and a few others. I ran out of CarPro Eraser which in my opinion is a great product and was left with standard IPA solutions. After reflecting on the cleaning power of Meguiar`s D114 Rinse Free Express Wash at the heavy use ratio of 1:128, I was curious about using it as a paint cleanser to remove polishing oils. So I decided to mesh a 25% IPA solution with what equals a 2:128 ratio of Meg`s D114, simply adding 1/2oz. to a 32oz bottle of 25% IPA. The reason I chose this over ONR is because D114 does not leave behind polymers or glossing agents, just a clean surface. Additionally, the RFEW is not grabby like IPA can be and allows for just a little longer working time over just IPA.

I know there are reports of solvents in sealants or some waxes that will remove any residual polymers left behind by ONR, but for me I wasn`t interested. This is NOT a knock on ONR at all so please don`t think that. I tested this mix after wiping away fresh polish (Optimum Finish Polish) and also by wiping directly over the polish while it remained on the paint. I also used it to remove a coat of Chemical Guys Blacklight. All tests performed well. I have another full correction scheduled this week and plan to test it against M101, D300, Optimum Hyper Spray Polish, and M205. I have included a photo of the product and my link to MOL where I first posted the review in hopes of feedback from someone at Meguiar`s.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/RFEW_IPA.jpg

Another Use For D114 - Rinse Free Express Wash (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?55425-Another-Use-For-D114-Rinse-Free-Express-Wash)

I am open to any feedback if you feel like posting.

Thanks for looking,

Richard

C. Charles Hahn
07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
This is very interesting; I think I still have a little bit of D114 left from the samples you sent me a while back, I`ll have to mix some up and compare it to Eraser. Thanks for sharing!

rwright
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
This is very interesting; I think I still have a little bit of D114 left from the samples you sent me a while back, I`ll have to mix some up and compare it to Eraser. Thanks for sharing!

I believe Eraser is a stronger cleaner. It has an IPA solution of 30-50% plus a chemical that dissolves oil. I`ve considered adding more IPA for additional strength but then we get into the gray area of possible paint swelling, according to existing reports of higher concentrations of IPA. This was a simple mix on the fly so to speak, so I strongly believe Eraser will out perform. I am interested in your findings though and if you need an additional sample I can provide. :)

*Edit - Mixing a higher IPA solution and RFEW should increase cut but I had no problems with this solution.

C. Charles Hahn
07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
I believe Eraser is a stronger cleaner. It has an IPA solution of 30-50% plus a chemical that dissolves oil. I`ve considered adding more IPA for additional strength but then we get into the gray area of possible paint swelling, according to existing reports of higher concentrations of IPA. This was a simple mix on the fly so to speak, so I strongly believe Eraser will out perform. I am interested in your findings though and if you need an additional sample I can provide. :)

*Edit - Mixing a higher IPA solution and RFEW should increase cut but I had no problems with this solution.

I`m sure Eraser probably is stronger, and that`s a good thing when it comes to preparing paint for Opti-Coat or similar, but for normal paint inspection while polishing it`s probably not strictly necessary to have that extra strength. Plus this is surely more cost effective if it`s adequate for regular inspection duty.