PDA

View Full Version : Got some tools, ready to go, but... questions.

Pages : [1] 2

PDoyle
07-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Hello, this is my first post.

I have been around a long while reading many posts.

So much to learn and so little time.

I don`t detail full time. You guys who do, my hat is off to you. It ain`t easy!

I had an SUV detailed a couple different times by detailers and they never touched the SUV`s roof.

I`ve been told I`m OCD. I`m sure that is how I found this site. Anyway,

I have a boat, 3 cars, jetskis, snowmobiles, and a polaris ranger.

I have a Craftsman 3/8 hp that I want to use. I don`t want to spend any cash on a machine and I have this one now. I will need to stand on a ladder to do this.

I am stuck on which pad (s) to use.

The boat is my first project. It is 5 years old and white with a red (faded) stripe. There is a couple of scratches as well. I have never used a polisher. I want to buff out the fade of the red paint and then lightly buff out the rest of the boat.

So what pads are the safest for me to use with the Craftsman ? And do I need backing plate too? What product can I use that will give me the red back? I will use the boat paste wax to finish up.

I`m going to take it real slow and take my time.

(I used to buy the usual car wax. Reading around the forum found out a can of $25.00 Boat paste wax would make my Black 03 Jeep TJ look good and

I am very impressed at the results.)

Thanks for any help.

Richard Grasa
07-08-2012, 06:06 PM
My advice is get rid of that Craftsman and get a DA polisher. Yes, I know you don`t want to spend any cash on something else, but from what I`ve seen doing a quick google search, that thing is a piece of garbage. Not to mention if you`ve never buffed with a rotary before, you risk doing some major damage to your paint. You can get a Porter Cable 7424XP for around $120 and you won`t risk any damage to your paint. You should be able to find a kit with everything you need to get started for around $200 - $250. IMO you should do more reading if you are even considering using that Craftsman. Spend the money on the right tools and you won`t be spending even more to have your paint fixed if and when you mess it up with that Craftsman.

If you do insist on using what you have, practice on some scrap fenders or a beater car before you try anything on your boat or cars. It`s just the nature of the rotary, they can do some very serious damage in unexperienced hands. Stay in one spot a little too long and you will burn through the paint. Also they are very difficult to learn how to finish down nicely with. Very long learning curve to get it right. Use a DA and you will be polishing like a pro in no time.

PDoyle
07-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Excellent, thanks.

I`ll find a Porter Cable. What is next? I need pads and polish. Which?

Richard Grasa
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Actually, instead of the Porter Cable, I`d get the HD polisher kit and the HD Detailing kit available on this site. This will set you up with everything you need to get started for a very good price. I suggested the Porter Cable at first because that`s what I`ve been using, but the HD polisher is better and the price is just as good and everything is included. Here`s the link:

� (http://www.autopia-store.org/Detailing-Kits/)

Not sure why the link is showing as that little diamond, but the link works.

Dan
07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I had an SUV detailed a couple different times by detailers and they never touched the SUV`s roof.

I`ve been told I`m OCD. I`m sure that is how I found this site. Anyway,

Wow...just wow. Anyway, grab a real DA. The 3D kit looks nice, I have a Griots that I`m very happy with.

Richard Grasa
07-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Wow...just wow. Anyway, grab a real DA. The 3D kit looks nice, I have a Griots that I`m very happy with.

Dan, I had bought some guys video detailing course a couple years back hoping to pick up some of his "time saving tips" and in one videos he says "on the larger SUV`s don`t bother with the roof, nobody ever looks up there". Looks like someone took it to heart. At least I was only out about 30 bucks.

Time 2 shine
07-08-2012, 08:39 PM

Have you tried the new HD polisher? Just wondering as you mentioned your very happy with the Griots and yet you suggest the HD one?

togwt
07-09-2012, 05:14 AM
:welcome: to Autopia PDoyle

What I consider to be the best PC How-To available by Dave KG – Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859)

imported_RZJZA80
07-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I would recommend a PC or the Griot`s, they`ll get the job done.

:welcome: to Autopia PDoyle

What I consider to be the best PC How-To available by Dave KG – Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859)

Damn, I`d forgotten how good KG`s write-ups are!

Dan
07-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Have you tried the new HD polisher? Just wondering as you mentioned your very happy with the Griots and yet you suggest the HD one?

No I haven`t tried the 3D. It looks nice on paper and has a great warranty. If I was shopping now I`m not sure which I`d decide on.

pwaug
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
The Groits has all the power you`ll need plus it has a lifetime warranty.

imported_RZJZA80
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
The Groits has all the power you`ll need plus it has a lifetime warranty.

I agree, best warranty out there even if they`re weary of the "pro" uses of it.

PDoyle
07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info. you guys. Got to look over the two DA`s. I`ll follow up when my head stops spinning.

Dan C
07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Boats usually are gelcoated...much harder to burn...break out the rotary my friend!

Richard Grasa
07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Boats usually are gelcoated...much harder to burn...break out the rotary my friend!

But is the red stripe that`s faded gelcoat or paint?