PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys wash after polishing?

Pages : [1] 2

mnewxcv
07-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Just wondering how many of you wash after polishing before lsp. Why or why not? Car wash or dawn soap?

Sent from my iPhone

togwt
07-06-2012, 07:06 AM
I very rarely wash after polishing / compound if I do I use ONR, definetly not dishwasing detergent - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136612-should-i-use-dawn-wash-my-paint.html

I`ve found the best way is a `wipedown` process - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/137115-wipedown-scratch-lie-detector-test-process.html

Thomas Dekany
07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Very rarely do I need to wash after polishing since I switched to the HD line of polishes. :D No more dust.

Accumulator
07-06-2012, 11:56 AM
I do it if necessary (e.g., getting compound residue), but don`t if I can avoid it.

I don`t always do a final "polishing oils/etc. removal wipedown" either, though I realize that`s bordering on Autopian Heresy.

I don`t have any issue with people using Dawn for this as long as its lack of lubricity doesn`t somehow lead to instilling new marring. Just note that Dawn doesn`t always rinse as "clean" for some people as it does for me (differing water? :nixweiss ) so you might need to do some kind of wipedown afterwards anyhow.

Time 2 shine
07-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I`m a big fan of using M105 and if you`ve ever used it you know it dusts like crazy and goes every where so i like to wash after compounding and polishing but not after just polishing. While everyone has there own way of doing things I like to wash. I feel its easier because the car is not really "dirty" per say as when you first washed at the start of the detail. I use a foam lance on my pressure washer with a mixture of CGCW and Megs APC. I use half the bottle at the beginning of the detail and the other half after compounding and polishing. While it does take more time and work i can see why most people don`t do it.

Dan
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Depends on what I`m doing...

105 - Powerwash to get the damn dust out of everywhere

Opticoat - Dawn wash + IPA

HD or Optimum Polishes - usually just IPA before a sealant, nothing if using Poxy/Carnauba or AIO

Leadfootluke
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I usually like to if I have a very oily or dusty polish. I try to be as touchless as possible though, with as much blotting and air-drying as possible.

I did a vehicle with HD POLISH and the beading was amazing from the oils, but normal car shampoo took care of most of the oils and IPA took care of the rest.

David Fermani
07-07-2012, 08:09 AM
It all depends what I`m working on. You can still have polish residue left behind in the cracks that could get blasted out of there. It`s never a bad idea to give it a quick rinse and Dawn wash.

Hey, Moe!
07-07-2012, 07:18 PM
I`ll typically wash; I use Griot`s Car Wash all the time. After polishing, I feel that Griot`s is enough to take care of any "residue" (particularly if I`ve used M105), and I go from there.

Since I have promised myself to not buy any other products until what I have on hand is used up, this routine may be in place for a little bit.

SVR
07-08-2012, 04:39 AM
I don`t rewash. the polish doesn`t dust or stick to the paint

We used to need too when using Gtechniq P1

been covering wheels, tyres, windscreen and wipers, clear plastic masking the windows like a body shop does before painting

certainly makes a difference

can understand if others foam up the car prior to applying a coating

Accumulator
07-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I`ll typically wash; I use Griot`s Car Wash all the time. After polishing, I feel that Griot`s is enough to take care of any "residue" (particularly if I`ve used M105), and I go from there..

Note that Griot`s Car Wash, IME, does nothing to remove M205 oils.

David Fermani
07-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I don`t rewash. the polish doesn`t dust or stick to the paint

We used to need too when using Gtechniq P1

been covering wheels, tyres, windscreen and wipers, clear plastic masking the windows like a body shop does before painting

certainly makes a difference

can understand if others foam up the car prior to applying a coating

Don`t the filler polishes you use "stick" to the paint?

No matter how much you tape, there`s still body lines that polishes can get pushed into. Unlike Detailers, Body Shops don`t worrry about this because the remove their panels for the refinishing process. If your products don`t "stick" to the paint, why bother covering the windows, wheels and trim? Especially if you`re using a DA?

Buffautodetail
07-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I generally give a citrus bath followed by a rinsing with the kranzle.

SVR
07-09-2012, 12:34 AM
I no longer use those filler products now, have used up all the solvent based filler polishes, amigo, glare etc and wont be buying them again, just using the water based single polish systems now

You are correct about the polish geting into lines, I just mask up to cover my butt and so cleaning is mega easy. just because someone doesnt make a mess when polishing doesnt mean you stop masking/covering certain areas

using dynabrade heads mostly, some RO`s too

SeaJays
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I rarely wash after compounding/polishing. Only if I really have to. Normally a wipe down with a product like Eraser is all I use.