PDA

View Full Version : Here`s my problem with Opti-Coat

Pages : [1] 2

chrisguga
07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I used Opti-Coat 2.0 on my car and I also use ONR washes. I use Adam`s detail spray as my drying aid and if I`m feeling extravagant I`ll add about 10 squirts of Optimum car wax into my rinse bucket. I have a gallon of the stuff so I may as well use it.

Here`s the problem. I now have 3 carnuba waxes, 2 sealants, 2 paste waxes, a spray wax, and 3 types of glaze that are now completely useless. I try and test them out by applying them to only select panels of the car and I can`t even tell which panels they`re on from a variety of angles and with a variety of lights. The OC 2.0, ONR polymers, and detail spray look as good as any of my waxes to the point I literally can`t see a difference even when I want to.

I guess this is a good thing, but I miss waxing my car once in a while. It`s not worth waxing it knowing it`ll just wash off the next time it rains.

I just ordered Wet Glaze 2.0 and I`m hoping I can see some benefit.

Does anyone else use a coating and miss getting a benefit from waxes?

RobD
07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I don`t use OC, but I share your opinion about these modern products. I`ve been using OCW and ONR for a while, now. OCW is so good/easy that I rarely (basically never) use my traditional lsp`s. I see a little difference when using an expensive carnauba, but it`s not night and day (and the look doesn`t last).

I like ONR for washing - I still do traditional washes as well - though I`m not crazy about it as a QD. I`m looking forward to trying the improved V3.

Dan
07-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Select panels are a hard one. I`m not good enough to tell them apart, but I like to do 1/2 and 1/2. I can usually see a pretty big difference between some products. But I hear you on the Opticoat stuff. Not being able to really change the look of the car is one of the reasons I haven`t done my DD.

spotter
07-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Personally I am thrilled that my OptiCoated car looks wonderful after an ONR wash and doesn`t need anything else. Of course every now and then I put on OptiSeal or OCW since it only takes 5-10 minutes. It may bump up the shine a little bit for a few days but it doesn`t bother me either way. It is nice to know that an ONR wash makes my car looked like I spent hours getting it just right when it really only took 30 minutes.

Paul Sparks
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
The solution is quite simple. Take all the products that are no longer needed since you coated your car and send them to old Paul. Seriously a lot of us are in the same boat . I love the Opti-Coat on my truck which makes for one less vehicle to deal with. I now use all the left over nubas,sealants etc on my other vehicles or those of customers. Honestly I would like a similar coating for interiors to make them almost maintenance free.

C. Charles Hahn
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
The solution is quite simple. Take all the products that are no longer needed since you coated your car and send them to old Paul. Seriously a lot of us are in the same boat . I love the Opti-Coat on my truck which makes for one less vehicle to deal with. I now use all the left over nubas,sealants etc on my other vehicles or those of customers. Honestly I would like a similar coating for interiors to make them almost maintenance free.

Agreed; at one time I seem to remember Optimum was working on an interior product, but we haven`t heard much about it in a while.

chrisguga
07-06-2012, 04:32 PM
My Wet Glaze 2.0 arrived today and I`ll cover one whole side of the car, as suggested. Hopefully I can tell a difference.

Scottwax
07-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Personally I am thrilled that my OptiCoated car looks wonderful after an ONR wash and doesn`t need anything else. Of course every now and then I put on OptiSeal or OCW since it only takes 5-10 minutes. It may bump up the shine a little bit for a few days but it doesn`t bother me either way. It is nice to know that an ONR wash makes my car looked like I spent hours getting it just right when it really only took 30 minutes.

I do exactly the same thing.

David Fermani
07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
It`s definately a good problem to have. I`d sell all your waxes/sealants cause you ain`t gonna need em.

Accumulator
07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Heh heh, I don`t use OptiCoat on anything except wheels, but this "problem" is one I would never mind having!

One of the primary reasons why I use my current-fave LSP on most vehicles is because it`s the same way- no need to do anything but wash for months on end.

imported_DieselMDX
07-10-2012, 12:54 AM
i am from a different side I ENJOY laboring over the shine on my car i changes LSPs all the time

tho i have to get OC it is the new rave around here

SeaJays
07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I opti-coated my HHR and it`s made maintenance a breeze. Since I detail for a living the last thing I want to do is spend hours on end detailing my car. So, I can spend an evening each week and do a quick ONR wash, maybe some optimum spray wax and call it a day.

But for your weekend detailer that likes to play with different waxes/sealants I can definitely see the issue. Now all my waxes/sealants are used for clients cars. Unless of course they have chose to get their cars opti-coated as well.

Could always polish off the opti-coat and go back to using waxes and sealants.

tom p.
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Some cars are meant to be OptiCoated, others will be better off with traditional products. As said above, it`s a nice problem to have.

Frankly, the OC solution is just above "perfect" on my wife`s car since she`ll never cut it loose for me to work on.

Accumulator
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Frankly, the OC solution is just above "perfect" on my wife`s car since she`ll never cut it loose for me to work on.

Do you have the Avant all sorted out now?

Anthony O.
07-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Agreed; at one time I seem to remember Optimum was working on an interior product, but we haven`t heard much about it in a while.

It`s still in testing with me at our shop.

Anthony