PDA

View Full Version : `99 Honda CRV Milano Red (Critique please)

vtextc
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey folks,

As you can see, I have been an Autopia member for many years. In my university days, I used to detail for friends and family with the objective of learning, having some fun, and making a few bucks. I took a hiatus for a while as I leapt into a career, got married, and we had our first child. Knowing my keen passion for detailing, my wife surprised me this father`s day with a whole host of goodies from a renowned online detailing vendor.

Since I had never tried machine polishing before, I set out today to give it the old college try on our DD 1999 CRV. We have owned this vehicle for two years now, and as our winter beater/daily driver, the vehicle sits outside 365 days a year, and is driven in all weather conditions. The vehicle has 220K on it, and save for a few door dings and a repainted hood (through dealer), is in reasonable shape.

I used the following items to complete the exterior detail today which took appx. 8 hours:

Wash and Dry: P21s shampoo and dried with Metrovac Master Blaster (8hp)

Clay: Zaino Z18 contaminant remover

Swirl Remover: ZPC Paint cleaner/swirl remover (applied with PC 7424XP at 6)

Polish: Z5 Polish for swirls and scratches (applied with PC 7424XP at 4.5)

Final Finish: Z6 gloss enhancer

I`ve been a Zaino advocate since owning an S2000 back in the early `00s. I had lots of product on hand, however, since the CRV had plenty of swirls and light scratches from improper washing/drying over the past 13 years, I ordered the ZPC which I had never used before.

I started out applying the ZPC with a LC orange pad, however the results were mediocre, so I upped the ante with a LC yellow pad, and the PC set at "6". Application and removal was easy, however I was surprised how much dust the ZPC created. The Z5 was a natural topper, applied with a LC white pad which brought out the glossiness in the paint which Z5 is so good at. (Better than Z2 and Z3 on Honda single stage paint IMO).

Regrettably, the "before" pics were abysmal since it was over cast when I started. Below are some "after" pics which were taken in the afternoon sun. While the results are outstanding, I would say that 75% of the swirls and RIDS were removed. Since I`m fairly OCD, I was disappointed that not "all" of the swirls came out. Is this because the vehicle is so old, and was in such poor shape to begin with? Or else, do I need a more abrasive product, or a more powerful machine? (Its not the wife`s fault that she bought me the PC. I asked for it before looking up some of the alternatives!)

Perhaps I should be pleased with the results, however I`m a bit of a perfectionist and am looking for a critique of my work and methodology before I move on to my more precious summer toys :) I have attached one close up "after" picture showing the few swirls that were left behind. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Asif

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7491787846_f3a34db8a4_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7136/7491809542_5dd4321f5d_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7278/7491796118_397f67955f_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7491801290_34e2201e29_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8431/7491805088_391281aa56_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7254/7491791114_7c926b2c78_c.jpg

DS8
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
i thought that last pic was a before pic. my honest opinion is that you still have a lot of work to do if thats the kind of swirls you have all over the paint.

swirls aside it looks great from 10 ft. especially considering its age/miles/exposure to the elements/etc...

DS8
07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
try the optimum microfiber cutting pads with either megs 105 or optimum hyper compound then follow up with a foam polishing pad and your favorite polish

the pc is a capable machine, no need to go out and replace it

vtextc
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Duly noted. Admittedly, the final product is leaps and bounds ahead of the "before" finish, but still not to my satisfaction.

MF cutting pads it is. Any particular brand/quality/colour?

Cheers

Asif

Nth Degree
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM
i thought that last pic was a before pic. my honest opinion is that you still have a lot of work to do if thats the kind of swirls you have all over the paint.

Swirls aside it looks great from 10 ft. especially considering its age/miles/exposure to the elements/etc...

I would agree with both of these statements. Some Meg`s M105 might get you better results but it dusts like a mother too. Not sure how aggressive you really want to get, though, on a car that old, especially if the paint is as thin as many Hondas I have seen. It does look good from 10 ft. and probably a heck of a lot better than many other cars on the road. The PC is a capable machine. Perhaps attack the car over time doing one panel at a time with different products to learn them.

Two things that I see: 1. The tail lights look dull. It might just be the photo, but I would remove the guards and polish those. 2. The plastic trim is pretty faded. Unfortunately it looks like it is gray, not black, so dying it is a less appealing option. UTTG is a great dressing, last long and looks great. It seems expensive, but a little goes a long way. If it were mine I might just go ahead and dye the parts black. It would then match the door handles and the rest of the trim. (Test inconspicuous spot.)

It is amazing how much better a car looks if all you do is make the trim look good.

Welcome back and good luck.

vtextc
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the constructive criticism. I`ve read that HD Uno dusts a lot less than the M105, however, is it as potent?

The trim has indeed discoloured and faded. Typically, I dress it with 303 which lasts a rainfall or two before appearing how it looks in the pictures. I have considered dying the trim pieces but it really is cost prohibitive on a 13 year old car which is slowly starting to rust and truly is our "beater" car.

The vets on here are bang-on. Before getting over zealous, I should start on one single panel at a time using various product and methods. This way I can perfect the craft as well as my preferred combo of products.

Back to more online shopping!

Thanks again :)

Asif

vtextc
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
PS-The tail lamp lenses do need some TLC. I have Meguiars a headlight restoration kit which I deployed on the headlights a few months ago. If they are that noticeable, perhaps it is time to do the rear lenses too....

A

Scottwax
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I agree with #105, I`d follow with Optimum Hyper Polish, it absolutely eats oxidation. Probably go with HD Poxy as my LSP on red, going to have a lot more depth (which is what you want on solid colors) than Z5. Poxy will be compatible with Z6 and Z8.

vtextc
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Scott; Thank-you. So, M105 with yellow pad, and then Optimum with a black or white pad? Foam or MF as has been suggested above?

A

Scottwax
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM
M105 with an Optimum microfiber cutting pad, OHP with a microfiber polishing pad.

Nth Degree
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I have considered dying the trim pieces but it really is cost prohibitive on a 13 year old car which is slowly starting to rust and truly is our "beater" car.

I haven`t tried this on gray, but it has done an amazing job on very faded black trim. Sometimes takes a couple of applications to get complete coverage so it might take two of the small ones or go with the quart. I don`t like the applicator bottle and use foam make-up applicators for applying instead.

Forever Black (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/forever-black.html)

vtextc
07-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks!

And to all who provided feedback; I now have some MF pads and some M105 on order. Will also try the Optimum Hyper polish; wasn`t aware it came as a spray. Should be fun!

Asif