PDA

View Full Version : ONR V3 and other chemicals versus 845 with video

Pages : [1] 2

Leadfootluke
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
I know it has been a question for a while if ONR can *kill* an LSP. It has been observed by a few members that ONR does not play nice with Collinite. I have also experienced that with an older version of ONR and wanted to test it out. I had an LSP test going on with the roof but I had the rest of the vehicle covered in 845. I can say definitively that the new ONR did not kill the 845. The video I am posting at the bottom shows the paint after ONR and numerous other chemicals.

I had polished the hood with HD SPEED in early June and was doing a test on it`s durability. After I completed a short term test, I topped the hood with SPEED on it with the 845. Fast forward to this weekend. I had a haze left on the hood from the 845 application. I washed the hood with ONR, but the haze remained. I took my finger and did a swipe test and the haze could be removed, so it wasn`t an issue with the paint due to polishing. So, I did 2 IPA wipedowns to the hood [I intended on stripping it and starting over]. However, the haze still remained. I washed the hood with Dawn dishsoap, but the haze still remained. I let Dawn dwell for 15 minutes, but after the hood was washed and rinsed, the haze remained. Finally I took a MF and buffed the hood and the haze disappeared :rolleyes:

Today, I washed my entire vehicle again because the rest of the vehicle was dusty. The beading and sheeting from the hood was unbelievable. Despite the several attempts to strip the 845, it was stronger than ever. I could have used an APC to strip the hood, but after seeing how slick it felt and how it sheeted water, I decided to leave it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/IMG_9020.jpg

Here is a quick video showing the sheeting. 845 was also applied to the fender a couple weeks ago and was subjected to the same dawn washes.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/th_845-1.jpg (http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/?action=view&current=845-1.mp4)

Thanks for reading, I`ll continue to follow up on ONR with 845, as well as seeing how resilient the 845 on this hood is.

Scottwax
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
If anything, regular ONR use should keep the paint beading strongly and make it easier to clean on future washes.

Leadfootluke
07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
If anything, regular ONR use should keep the paint beading strongly and make it easier to clean on future washes.

Yeah, that is why I was confounded when it seemed to kill Collinite with V1 of ONR.

However, I do find with this version [and most any wax/sealant], that ONR does increase the slickness and shedding properties. I have been very impressed with how well it holds up. Even an ONR wash on my control panel yielded beading a week later, and I didn`t use a detail spray.

Accumulator
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Leadfootluke- Thanks *SO MUCH* for doing this test and posting about it! I, and especially my pal Bob with the Jag MKII, were wondering about how the new ONR and Collintie would get along. I`m *assuming* (uh-oh :o ) that it`ll get along with 476S too :think:

Interesting about the film...I`m guessing there`s no chance you just didn`t see it before, right? Like...the 845 and Speed don`t get along 100% in some subsequently correctable way :confused:

Leadfootluke
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Leadfootluke- Thanks *SO MUCH* for doing this test and posting about it! I, and especially my pal Bob with the Jag MKII, were wondering about how the new ONR and Collintie would get along. I`m *assuming* (uh-oh :o ) that it`ll get along with 476S too :think:

Interesting about the film...I`m guessing there`s no chance you just didn`t see it before, right? Like...the 845 and Speed don`t get along 100% in some subsequently correctable way :confused:

I noticed the film a few times, but not immediately after it was applied.

I can definitely test out some 476S + ONR too, but I have to find a way to kill a panel of 845 first. I may be able to strip half my hood and get a good 50/50 with 845 as well as I continue to use ONR on it, at least until I detail my car.

Accumulator
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Leadfootluke- Hey, don`t you dare go stripping some perfectly good LSP just to tell me how the 476S holds up :grinno: But if you ever do a car with the 476S you can fill me/us in on it then :D

Scottwax
07-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I did an over spray removal job today, just clay and ONR and the woman thought I had washed and waxed her car. She had no idea when it was last waxed so she was pretty happy that it was so shiny.

I have some 476, have to try it and see how it responds to ONR v3.

Accumulator
07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I have some 476, have to try it and see how it responds to ONR v3.

Ah, cool. But of course, uhm... your milage and mine differ on this topic anyhow ;)

Leadfootluke
07-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Leadfootluke- Hey, don`t you dare go stripping some perfectly good LSP just to tell me how the 476S holds up :grinno: But if you ever do a car with the 476S you can fill me/us in on it then :D

I usually wait until the products have set up and I have some results before posting information, so I have already followed-up, per-say. However, I did strip the hood and added 476 to the passenger side [so I can compare to what I have seen with the 845 in the same place]. And I kept 845 on the drivers side. I also left a large control area in the middle, unprotected, so I can test other variables and debates, like how ONR leaves the surface beading for X amount of time, or I can apply SPEED by hand and try that yet again too.

imported_WCD
07-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Scott, somewhat similarly... I nano toweled a Passat last week...pretty poor shape after ONR. Topped with Opti-Seal. The customer freaked! She tipped me 20%, which is rare for me. :)

Best money I`ve made lately is ONR, nano towel, Opti-Seal. No polishing. $80 per hour on average.

Rob

Accumulator
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
OK, so this new version of ONR is the [stuff]...now I just gotta somehow use up my lifetime supply of the old version :o

I usually wait .... However, I did strip the hood and...

Heh heh, oh..you crazy Autopian you :chuckle:

Leadfootluke
07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
OK, so this new version of ONR is the [stuff]...now I just gotta somehow use up my lifetime supply of the old version :o

Heh heh, oh..you crazy Autopian you :chuckle:

Unfortunately I have the 1st version of ONR as well and there really is no way to use it up fast. I use the new stuff on my vehicles and ONR v1 on my door jambs, engine bay, and non-automotive stuff.

Accumulator
07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately I have the 1st version of ONR as well and there really is no way to use it up fast. I use the new stuff on my vehicles and ONR v1 on my door jambs, engine bay, and non-automotive stuff.

Yeah, I`m still working on my first or second gallon of mix and that`s several years old (glad the stuff doesn`t seem to go bad).

Scottwax
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Scott, somewhat similarly... I nano toweled a Passat last week...pretty poor shape after ONR. Topped with Opti-Seal. The customer freaked! She tipped me 20%, which is rare for me. :)

Best money I`ve made lately is ONR, nano towel, Opti-Seal. No polishing. $80 per hour on average.

Rob

The new Opti-Seal is pretty damn good too, slickness is pretty instant. But for me personally, ONR v3 is the best thing to come out this year. After using it for months on my car dirt literally falls off as soon as the ONR soaked pad touches it. And when I am done it looks like I waxed my car.

imported_RedlineIRL
07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Good info. I have experienced 845 durability reduced IMO with prior versions of ONR. I have the latest version of ONR, but really haven`t used it much at all with 845. I didn`t really think that there was any noticeable difference between version 2 and 3, but its nice to see that OPT improved the product to where it works with 845