PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on restoring a convertible rear window

gto78
06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I just got a 89 BMW convertible. The car sat for years in a friends garage. The rear window is horribly stained green and yellow. It`s impossible to see through it. The top is in great shape, seals are also great. I`d like to try to restore the window before forking out $$ to replace it. It seems to be fairly flexible still, not hardened up.

I did try to search for how to restore it but no luck. Is there a certain chemical that will clean the window and not ruin the plastic? I`m thinking the green is just mold, the yellow is more permanently part of the window. It`s also very hazy in the couple tiny spots that aren`t yellowed.

I thought bleach might work on the green mold, but it`s gonna ruin the blue top...Maybe I can use a couple of paper towels soaked in bleach/water and just lay them on the green areas for a while, then remove and thoroughly rinse.

Any ideas??

thanks

brownbob06
07-01-2012, 07:25 AM
What have you tried so far?

imported_MCA
07-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I have used Plexus on rear convertible windows with great success at removing minor scratches and clearing up hazing. However, i have never encountered color-apparent hazing on windows to try the stuff on.

togwt
07-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Clean surfaces using Iz einszett `Plastik-Reiniger` an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency and optical clarity; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic and vinyl; this product is biodegradable and formalin-free

Renovo Clear Plastic and Window Polish - every folding of the soft top causes microscopic scratching on soft plastic rear window,` which can be polished out with regular use of `Plastic Window Polish, which cleans restores transparency, removes cloudiness, reduces scratches and staining.

This one step cleaner and polish that will remove or reduce clouding, fine scratches and help restore the transparency to all clear plastic. Shake the bottle well and apply a very small amount to a soft, 100% cotton towel, work into the surface with moderate pressure, until all that remains is a faint haze. Best results are achieved when the polish is added frequently to the polishing cloth in small quantities. Burnish to a shine with a clean, 100% cotton towel. Some areas may require 2-3 applications. Great for motorcycle helmet visors

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/138238-convertible-roadster-top-detailing.html

brownbob06
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
No us is meant for acrylic so it may work

But if you keep trying different things you`ll have as much money in trying stuff as buying a new one