PDA

View Full Version : Reading contradiction here - Abrasive polish or no?

wa77ss
06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Hello, sorry to make a post. I tried to search and do plenty of reading, but still a little confused.

I read here in the guide to not over polishing (http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80222-autopia-guide-detailing-over-polishing-paint.html) that it is not best to always use an abrasive and if possible to use a fill in or pre-cleaner wax.

My situation is a have a truck thats black with lots of swirls. Ive read tons and tons of info and videos about detailing and it seems that most still use an abrasive polish (even a light abrasive with light cutting pad) to remove swirls and restore gloss. So I guess my question is, what am I suppose to do? It says not to overpolish in the guide and basically saying that even one time of light-medium machie polish can take lots of clear coat off, and the fill in stuff doesn`t really work for removing swirls. I have black box and applied by hand it did literally nothing for me other than the wax part.

I have a portercable buffer, if it matters. Its on the way bought it today.

Thx for your time and help

Dan
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Overpolishing takes lots of time, literally lots, especially with a PC. Do you know if the truck has ever been polished before? If not, you won`t have any issues. You can probably get away with 4-6 deep polishing jobs on most cars without issue. If you aren`t sure, post up your location, someone might have a paint thickness gauge they can help you with.

Thomas Dekany
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Dan is right.

If you want the swirls gone, you have to level the paint. Once that is done, use good habits and that will minimize additional swirls. That way you don`t have to polish often.

You are safe as far as the paint is concerned.

wa77ss
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Dan is right.

If you want the swirls gone, you have to level the paint. Once that is done, use good habits and that will minimize additional swirls. That way you don`t have to polish often.

You are safe as far as the paint is concerned.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I have not spent any amount of time ever on a dual action PC so I am sure there will be some learning curve, will have to practice on wifes car lol. I`m not sure if my truck has been polished before, but I can`t imagine it has been polished much. I`m more of a once a year type of guy so I may get DJ mayo to opticoat it for me if im satisfied with my polish job. The paint still looks quite deep black when clean, just swirls all over hood etc. Was 1 owner in FL so acid rain was also contributing to any issues.

The dealer unfortunately waxed and washed my truck before I got it, they got carnuba wax all over some of the plastic moldings around the vehicle. What would be easiest way to get out the white staining for black trim?

Thx

Thomas Dekany
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I would say that the residue is polish. It should come off easy - just take a micro fiber towel, a quick detailer and wipe it off.

If the hood is swirled the rest is also swirled. Unfortunately.

The PC is easy to use. You will see.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I have not spent any amount of time ever on a dual action PC so I am sure there will be some learning curve, will have to practice on wifes car lol. I`m not sure if my truck has been polished before, but I can`t imagine it has been polished much. I`m more of a once a year type of guy so I may get DJ mayo to opticoat it for me if im satisfied with my polish job. The paint still looks quite deep black when clean, just swirls all over hood etc. Was 1 owner in FL so acid rain was also contributing to any issues.

The dealer unfortunately waxed and washed my truck before I got it, they got carnuba wax all over some of the plastic moldings around the vehicle. What would be easiest way to get out the white staining for black trim?

Thx